Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a day off work last week and decided that I'd make another attempt at getting my first bass of the year. Being who I am and having the afflictions I do, I loaded the 'toon, a couple of swimbait rods and, as an afterthought, threw in one other rod. I then pointed the truck down I-25 and let it rip until I figured I was far enough south to find some warmer water and active fish. I was still in CO…

When I got to the lake, one I've only visited a couple of times, I got the pontoon launched, and started heading to areas where I've caught fish in the past, while throwing and towing a variety of swimbaits. There were popsicles in evidence, even in the shallows, but the 43 - 44F water was definitely putting the brakes on the swimbait bite. I persevered, though, working the surface with deadsticks and wallowing wake baits, mid-depth with glide baits and slow-rolled baits, and bottom-crawling a couple of big Hudds. Still, after 3 hours of swimbait work, I had no definite hits.

What to do? I decide to break out the backup plan, which was to work the float 'n' fly in 10 - 20' to see if I could at least scrape up a fish or two. Well, the FnF did the trick…within 20 minutes (about 10 casts in), the Thill rose slightly and laid over on its side. I set the hook and was fast into a solid fish. The fish never jumped (they rarely do in the colder water), but after about 3 minutes of give and take on the 6-lb line I had a chunky smallmouth in hand.

After taking a quick picture and releasing the fish, I moved down the bank a ways, repositioned so I was drawing the fly between 10' and 20', and started fishing again. About 15 minute later, I was again rewarded, this time when the Thill just sank. A chunkier fish than the first, a largemouth too boot, and one that had evidently taken some damage from hooks earlier in life.

I worked on down the bank and missed another solid take when I struck sideways instead of straight up, but that was it for the standard FnF. I then decided to check another bank and grabbed the oars and started across the lake. I was out in the middle of nowhere, rowing and watching the sonar, sitting in perhaps 30' when I started marking a huge school of fish - they were solid from the bottom to about 12'! I dropped the fins, stowed the oars, and removed the Thill from the FnF rig, only to glance at the sonar and see…nothing. I'd drifted past the fish. I grabbed the oars and ran a quick search pattern, and was soon seeing the solid mass of fish again. Down went the fly, and within 10 seconds I was hooked up - an 8" perch. I unhooked that one, dropped again, and caught a twin. The school was either sinking or I was drifting away from it, because I soon lost contact with the fish on screen. No worries - I grabbed the oars and started a spiral search and found them again - a couple more perch came to say hello before I lost the school again. I repeated this three or four times, getting a couple more perch at each stop - it's definitely worth thinking about stocking up on some swimbaits in perch colors - not every popsicle is a rainbow trout!

In the end, it was a good day - I picked up a couple of decent bass, even if they weren't on my baits of choice, and had fun playing with the perch. Not a bad way to spend the day, and next time I'll bring more perch-colored swimbaits and perhaps the 'rigger so I can run them right below the perch schools. Who knows what kind of evil predator is lurking down there?

As for the benefit of a backup plan, it was a good thing to have. I don't always bring a backup rod, but this time it paid off. Once things warm up again, I'll be rolling swimbait heavy, as usual, but will often have the frog rod along as the backup…I only bend so far!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Outstanding Chris!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Its always my backup rod/lures that ends up doing the trick, ill go in pumped to get some fish on big baits and a baitcaster and the bass only take a little spinner on my backup rod. Ohwell its better than no fish!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Damn! And here I thought I was the only one who thought to apply the floatNfly this year. :-\

Nice work! Didn't know you were so versatile.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn! And here I thought I was the only one who thought to apply the floatNfly this year. :-\

Nice work! Didn't know you were so versatile.
Thanks! I hate to admit it, but there are times when the fish don't want to bite the 8 and 9 and 10" long baits, but they'll suck down a 2" FnF. Luckily, those times are fairly rare. However, I've got to also admit that there's something fun about seeing your float go sliding under or, even more exciting about seeing a cocked bobber rise up slightly and lay on its side.

I'm thinking of trying to FnF a Hudd - I think it would work!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Nice report. I always take the time to read what you post, always such good information in there.

Biggie....really? You think you're the only one with some skills? SMH

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Thanks for a quality report, Doc!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SPRO jigs? Or homebrew? Can't see the hook...
Spro jigs - they've got fairly strong hooks and really good balance. In colder water I tend to go with Punisher jigs. Homebrew doesn't work so well for me - most of my efforts are likely to make the fish go into convulsions (at best) or Technicolor yawn, at worst!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts