Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read various postings indicating that many of you are graphing many fish, etc. and I'm curious. Given that you have a comparable mode...Do you use your sonar in "fish ID" mode where the sonar marks fish with a fish shaped icon on the screen or do you use the unprocessed (or at least minimally processed) sonar return where the fish are arcs?

I have a lowrance X-65 that is about 5 years old. I will go into an area in "Fish ID" mode and the screen may be filled with fish. When I switch to normal sonar mode there are no fish marked. I've played with the sensitivity and mostly just increase surface noise. Is it my sonar? What am I missing here? I've had similar experience with my vexilar (flasher style) that I use ice fishing. My buddy will be marking fish - "fish ID" style and I am not marking any fish on the vex. I have the utmost faith in my vex. I can track a two inch movement of a bb sized splitshot in 60 feet and I KNOW when I am marking fish. I guess what I'm saying is my confidence in the LCD fish ID sonar is not real high. My guess would be that the algorithms used in "Fish ID" mode are generating mistaken hits.

There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity in bottom contours/structure in either mode. A hole is a hole, a hump is a hump, and weeds and brush... well....are weeds and brush.

What do you guys have to say about this?

Jeff

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an x47 that I got last week. It does the exact same thing as you describe. My fish mark 320 doesn't have do that even though it's a lowrance product. I thought this issue was just me but I'm gonna spend some time Sunday trying to figure it out. Assuming I go out this weekend.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have an x35 mine will do the same thing. I have noticed when in sonar i can track my jigs for lakers you can see the fish zooming off the bottom in some cases its pretty cool.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would with perception about the algorithms in LCD fish finders. Usually before I?ll say it?s a fish I might look for other clues. Fish Id around structure I?ll generally accept as fish. I?ve mine give strange fish Id?s when crossing a fresh wake. Sometimes it doesn?t work good in heavy wave action. I?ll look at the temp when graphing fish I noticed 1 day at Chatfield I was graphing fish in 56 degree water off the dam but not in 54 degree water farther out. I was pretty sure those were good graphs. Sometimes I?ve seen wakes on mine look like shad schools, but never see any bigger fish under the school. I think the main thing is read the owners manual study the limitations. Trust the finder when all of the other subtle conditions line up. I fish a hummbird in my little Whaler and lowrance on MobyJ. I know I?m not always right when reading them, but I do know when I?m not graphing fish or bait I?m not usually catching fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts