Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been paddling all over trying to find walleye from my kayak to no avail. With the relative lack of structure in most of the front range lakes what are you guys looking for on your sonar when it comes to walleye?

I know just like everything else when it comes to fishing, it's trial and error and you just have to get out there and figure it out - just hoping for some food for thought here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Not knowing your sonar...black and white...color? At slow speeds fish will show up as horizontal lines ...bigger the fish bigger the lines...closer to the transducer..more defined the lines. The lines can be straight across the screen or rising and falling like a wave depending upon if the fish are moving up and down in the water column. If you can split screen, I like to have one screen bottom locked at 4x zoom. If they are locked tight to the bottom..may just look like a colored bump. Most times you'll find most eyes within the bottom eight feet of water. Now, you'll find them there, but if there is a lot of shad in the lake you'll also find them suspended with the shad.

Try this...drop a jig and watch it fall on the screen..watch as you lift and drop the jig. Watch as you hold it still. That's what fish look like on the screen just bigger lines and bolder colors.

To see arches like you see in simulation mode, you must have some speed going...the arch just reflects a pic of the fish entering the cone...you traveling over the fish and the fish leaving the cone...all in one picture.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
a very good explanation Dave, a lot of people look at the screen and if they don't see arks they think there are no fish there I have caught a lot of bumps on the bottom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave - I should have been more clear, I know what the fish look like, and what the balls of baitfish look like. I can read my bait and when a fish shows up; I watched every trout hit my bait, lol. What I was hoping for is advice on what kind of bottom you are looking for when searching for walleye?

As an example, at Aurora I paddled for miles and never found a pronounced structure. I found the channel 30' of water, down to @ 60', and then back up to @ 30'. I zigzagged the channel and fished the high edge, middle, and bottom of it in multiple spots and could only get trout. I did this in the channel in front of the swim beach out to main lake, and in Senac arm. I mostly vertically jigged, maybe that's my problem?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
keep in mind that you are only looking at a 15 to 30 foot circle on your screen, depending on what transducer you have. what you need to do is look at a map of the lake and find a spot that you can find on your screen then use that location and search for small humps or cuts or channels. look for any rocky spots, out from the dam is a good place to start. some units wont show fish as well as others, it sounds like you have a good unit. if you have split screen and bottom lock like Dave says use it. thr 4X feature is a big help. sometimes the fish are only 10 feet down and your transducer is only scanning a 5 foot circle and if you are moving slow the fish will move away from you before you can get close enough to get them on your screen. I have caught a lot of fish where none showed on the screen.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Walleye Seeker - small humps or cuts might be what I was missing, I'm going to target those more next time.

I know what you mean on catching where your not marking fish - it seemed for a while there they would come in every drop, but they were trout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts