Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been other treads about this but they get way to thick for me to understand. I have a brand new AGM 22 battery; I have no idea on how to correctly charge it. I have a 2/10amp automotive charger. But how do I know when it is fully charged?
I have read, take a volt meter and measure the volts; See table
11.9v = full discharge
12.0v = 25% charge
12.2v = 50% charge
12.4v = 75% charge
12.6v = 100% charge
Is this correct?
Right now the battery reads at 12.2v which would mean 50% charged. So how long will it have to charge? Do I need to check on it every hour or to, or can I leave it on over night? I really do not know anything about electricity. On the top of the batt. it reads;
Float charge 13.5-13.8v,
Cycle charge 14.1-14.4v,
What does that mean? As you can see I am very ignorant about this, so sorry for so many questions. I just do not want to ruin my new batt. Other battery info;
Cranking amps = 850
Charging amps = 670
Reserve capacity = 95 minutes,
What does this all mean? I should have just stuck to my ors! ;D
Can you overcharge a battery? How long of a run time should I expect using a Minn kota Endura 30 Trolling Motor?
Once again sorry for all of the questions......
Any into would be very, very, very greatly appreciated.....
Thanks Pope

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know what an AGM battery is, sounds spendy
850 cranking amps sounds like enough to run a 225 4 stroke, there is a differance in how a starter battery and a trolling motor battery are designed, starter battery delivers alot of amps in short bursts and trolling battery are designed for continous amp draw, maybe check with where you got it from about running a trolling motor, starter batteries run higher cranking amps # while not so high for trolling battery, maybe more like 650 or less, so it may either be a super battery or maybe just not quite right for your application.
- does this charger have a switch for deep cycle batteries? you will need that
-does this charger have an auto cut off? meaning once the battery has full charge, the voltage peaks then drops and the charger shuts off, this is the best way because batteries capacity can vary depending on use and abuse and prevents overcharging which can leave deposits on the plates reducing performance. I leave mine on overnight everytime after a trip and it switches itself off and I'm ready to go next time
float charge may be where they recommend you store the battery while not in use, in this case it looks like store it fully charged
hope that helps a little

·
Registered
27 Posts
remember two things, reserve = long term ability, cranking amps= short term bursts.

by what i see what you posted, you have a starting or cranking battery, and only have under perfect conditions a max reserve time of 95 minutes, that is under ideal conditions, i would estimate that you would get about an hour at full throttle on your trolling motor at best, thats what mine did with a starting battery, just a rough idea. also, most chargers these days have a thermal overload, and overcharge protection so you should be good to go with any one of them, higher charge rates mean faster charges, slower or lower amps to keep it topped off so to speak.

good luck, see you on the water.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Do you still have the battery ? I have a brand new deep cycle battery I need a starting battery for my boat maybe we could work a trade ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is a dual purpose, so that is a good thing I believe. I am waiting for a reply from the manufacture of the charger, it is a Shumacher 82-6-PE model. I do not have the original info on the charger. So I am winging it. I leave for a big trip on Friday so I am running out of time. I have noticed that as I have been charging the battery today the charging amps have started to drop. Is that a possible sign that it does have a protection feature? Is it getting close? Thanks again for all the help. Pope  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts