Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you already know, the definition of "artificial lure" changed effective 1-1-06 so that all of our plastic baits that contain any salt are now illegal in those waters that are restricted to artificial lures.  That means that all of our Senkos are illegal and lots of commercially bought tubes.  Senkos have salt as do lots of other soft plastics.  Those that don't have salt often have some flavor additive.

For those of you who might be interested, there is a small company in Utah that makes some unsalted soft baits.  Even those that he usually makes with salt can be custom-poured without salt.   I'm not affiliated with them.  I've fished some of their regular stick baits and really liked them.  He'll also pour custom colors if that's your thing.  The company is Maniac Custom Lures and their website is www.maniaccustomlures.com.

If you all know of quality soft plastics made without salt or scents, please post the info so the rest of us can start getting our lure boxes legal for Quincy and Spinney, etc.  Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Don --- thanks! I've been looking for some tiki stick type lures w/out scent, and I dig those creature/beaver baits! I saved their web-site, and as soon as my wallet recovers from my wife's b-day and Valentines day,  :(  I'll be ordering some. 

Good post too.
I think Mister Twisters are scent/salt free ?
Sportsman's Warehouse carries a line called Fresh Water
Creme is also scent/salt free

Thanks again,
                           James

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have a ton of unsalted unscented baits I get from my grandma, she buys them from catalog companies like ABC distributing and stuff. I get them for christmas and birthdays from her, and really never use any of them because scented and salted work so much better. They are usually given to the kids I take fishing.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It took me over a month to teach her how to get onto the internet and use her email, so her site is "still under construction" :p

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Don --- Thank you for recommending them (Maniac Custom Lures). I sent them a e-mail before ordering, explaining that I needed salt/scent free. I then placed an order. James Bradshaw e-mailed me back (from their company). He made sure to place no salt/ no scent stickers on all my packages. He also sent me quite a bit of other stuff (for free) to try out.
It looks like it's a quality product, and I'm sure I'll be ordering from them again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
james said:
Don --- Thank you for recommending them (Maniac Custom Lures). I sent them a e-mail before ordering, explaining that I needed salt/scent free. I then placed an order. James Bradshaw e-mailed me back (from their company). He made sure to place no salt/ no scent stickers on all my packages. He also sent me quite a bit of other stuff (for free) to try out.
    It looks like it's a quality product, and I'm sure I'll be ordering from them again.
What this fella said, x2. I emailed James Bradshaw stating the same. He said he would add the stickers to my packages as well, and sent me quite a few free plastics. I got my box today full o' goodies via USPS. This is good lookin stuff folks. I'll definately buy from him again too. I'll let you know on Tuesday when I hit up Quincy again how they work out for me too. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks guys. After reading your posts, I just placed an order with James. Thanks for the tip, and if anyone else has news on local outlets selling non-scented/salted plastics, don't hesitate to post. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also buy a lot of my tubes from Canyon Plastics, "Home of the original Fat gitzit". 
http://www.canyon-plastics.com/

Although I've never asked, I'm 99% sure their tubes are salt/scent free, the color selection is huge, and the tentacles are really "wiggly". 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
I was wrong.  The Canyon Plastics tubes DO have salt.  I called this morning and asked them.

Don

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
SLUGGOS, FINESSE FISH!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
New to the denver area and it's fishing regulations... and i thought senkos were expensive...Maniac Custom Lures baits look nice and i'm sure they work great but $8 a pack for 8 baits... seems like they are taking advantage of the no salt/scent regulations

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is no longer a concern, the rule has been repealed thanks to WesternSlopeAnglers and many other bass clubs. Good victory for those who stood up and a wise decision by the DOW and wildlife commission to listen to their employers.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Hell yeah.............screw that stupid law..............it cost fisherman too much time and money.............besides.........how many rangers actually want to go around tasting plastic lures? :) ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
VolFan said:
I think it may still be a concern at Quincy.
Nope, the new rule allows scented and salted plastics at Quincy, it specifically says so in the regulations. Even in many trout streams, and in Spinney, the rule is history. It was a stupid, unenforceable rule that was not based on solid science and of course flew directly in the face of the wishes of the vast majority of anglers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
mogul buster said:
Hell yeah.............screw that stupid law..............it cost fisherman too much time and money.............besides.........how many rangers actually want to go around tasting plastic lures? :) ;)
Most officers I talked to wouldn't even attempt to enforce the law or touch it with a 10 foot pole. Most people simply ignored it as well. Robin Knox, former DOW sportfishing coordinator, retired in disgrace in large part to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts