Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one fished South Boulder Creek below Gross yet.  I'm thinking of heading there this weekend and wondering if it's worth the trip.  What flies would you recommend if you've fished this creek before.  Any tips?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I havnt fished it yet this year, but i imagine its doing ok. I have always slung dries there, so bring your regular small stream selection...starting with an Adams and perhaps some Elk hair if the caddis are out. (size 14s or 16s should do you fine) Those are the two main patterns i fish there throughout the spring/summer. If you are feeling really frisky that day try a bead head prince or a brassie as a dropper....

oh yeah, if its late summer you might also want to bring along some hopper patterns.
For the most part its a simple stretch of water to fish...i rarely have to change tactics much there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Walker Ranch would be my choice...although you can drive up to Gross and head down from there on the road that goes below the dam. ive fished both areas, and with a bit of walking you end up at the same area basically...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to just take flagstaff road to the gross res. and make my way down the river. It there a better way of getting there? So South Boulder is a good Dry Fly stream?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
a few miles before you get to Gross on Flaggstaff Rd (just shortly after you come down the backside of the mountain) you will see the Walker Rach Trailhead. its about a mile or two walk downhill to the river. Its a good dryfly stream, but i cant say how the conditions are now...but usually its not bad this time of year.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would have to agree with Rottal, it is much better to start at Walker Ranch and work up stream than to start from Gross Dam Road. I have done both hikes several times. The walk down to the creek from the Dam Road isn’t too bad, but the 1000 foot hike back up sucks. If you have the time try the creek downstream from Pinecliffe, lots of trout, very little people.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can you ride a mountain bike through Walker Ranch, and then walk down to the Creek? I have never been their, but am excited for a tailwater close to town.

Fishbum

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yup, i see bikes there all the time on the trail. you might be in your granny gears coming back up, but its not too bad....

·
Registered
902 Posts
fished it a week ago. Few cadis in the sun but not much. fish were taking other small dries, little midges or something (not big on fly lingo). had a decent fish come up to check out a parachute cadis, didn't take. I caught my only fish on a #16phez tail. Only been in town here since fall so I’m not sure how the creek drys in the summer-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts