Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend down that way that John Martin is a foot below spilling over the spillway. Henry...Merideth..and Blue are now full...They're running water into Timber..it hasn't seen water in years..and are going to start filling NeeGrande and NeeNoshee.

Don't know how long it will last...but hey..

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Dear Professor (think Gilligans island)

How long will it take to fill them? Do we need 40 days and 40 more nights of the recent Seattle weather?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand they're moving water around because they're trying to keep John Martin from going over the spillway.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Very cool
Not sure I buy into j Mart about to flow over the gates....
Thought capacity was 260,000-270,000 acre feet? It's at 145,000 ish now.
J Mart is the largest lake in Colorado when near full pool. Only claims 17,000 acres

Another reason I doubt it's about to spill over is the fact they were releasing 5cfs for about two days. Now they are only releasing 350cfs as 4,000+ cfs is coming in.
Would love some pictures of the lake

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
While I am super excited that JM is filling up, I too think that the claim of it being that high may be exaggerated. That said, 4' could be close to 100,000 acre feet? I'm not sure on the math, but I find it difficult to realize.

Man, that fishery will be so redic if the water level stays high for a few years. I remember the glory days at that lake when I would be one of 3-4 boats on it catching fish without having much skill... Here's hoping for full pool (and no severe flooding)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I haven't seen it myself. My buddy heard it from Mark...the guy that lives in Sugar City and used to drive around and sell minnows out east..

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
My cousin is set to go get some pictures in the next few days... I'll post em up when he sends em.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
While I am super excited that JM is filling up, I too think that the claim of it being that high may be exaggerated. That said, 4' could be close to 100,000 acre feet? I'm not sure on the math, but I find it difficult to realize
Yep, it has gone up 9.5' since the 20th. Which was around 55,000 acre feet. The next 10' will be a lot more but no way does 4' more equal to 100,000 acre feet.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
You could be wrong, Boon... the amount of area covered by that last 4; is REDIC...because of the lay out of the land. Still likely a bit of an exaggeration, but not by as much as I was thinking. Man, I am so excited to fish areas I fished so long ago.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
You could be wrong, Boon... the amount of area covered by that last 4; is REDIC...because of the lay out of the land. Still likely a bit of an exaggeration, but not by as much as I was thinking. Man, I am so excited to fish areas I fished so long ago.
Yes yes, I realize this. Thus my comment the next 10' will be way more water. 9.5=55,000 next 4 is highly unlikely to be 100k. Maybe 50....
Hopefully we'll get to see. It's still going up fast.
As of now: JMRCADCO JOHN MARTIN RESERVOIR AT CADDOA STORAGE 3830.20 ft 143210 AF 5/28/2015 07:15

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen it myself. My buddy heard it from Mark...the guy that lives in Sugar City and used to drive around and sell minnows out east..
You should know you cant believe anyone named Mark...

Yep awesome news!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Boon catches a fish or two and thinks he's a feeking mathematician. Stick to clipping coupons.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
when i was out there 2 weeks ago, it was flooded well into the trees.

this is awesome. fill up all those lakes. especially two buttes. wish this would have happened before bonny dried up...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
two buttes has been full since last year ..... when it got flooded ...
go to Facebook page John Martin Reservoir State Park and they put up photos of the lake all the time

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
hopefully that lake will hold some good fish.

in the next month or so, im gonna meet up with some of my texas panhandle friends and fish turks. hopefully that will be a good one!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
From what I understand they're moving water around because they're trying to keep John Martin from going over the spillway.
4-500 miles downriver, it's insane...

I follow the woody's bait shop page on facebook, and supposedly the arkansas is running 300000cfs out of keystone lake. im sure kaw is running the same above the lake.... all the gates are open and the river is waaaay above the fishing ramps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts