Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was woundering dose or has anyone fished the South plate above Cheeseman Res. I know it can be difficult to get to, but there are several 4x4 trails that take you to it and or close to it. I know that it was hit by the fire, but that was several years ago, and the fish in the lake have to do the same as the fish on 11mile go up stream. Just woundering cause im lookin at go there this weekend and find out. Any help would be great. And just let you know i fished the dream last saturday and it was great, just stay small like 24 and 26 killed them, but fish high all the way at the gate or up is where the fish are at. Thanks and take care.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Go do it and give us an update on how it goes. Beautiful water but fish are few and far between. Don't waste your time go else where.

If you do go a dirt bike would be best suited but please respect the signs that say 'no motor vehicles beyond this point.'

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's a thread from a few months back...
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=58716.msg665385#msg665385

I've made two trips in the last 6 years and I'd sum up my experience like COCarp - "beautiful water but fish are few and far between." Great exploring IMO, but not much catching.

If you go, I'd definitely let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back. Driving up hill and out of that area can be more difficult than the drive in.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
As I mentioned in the referenced thread, you can hike around Sportsman's Paradise via the South Platte Trail. You can also hike down via Platte Canyon or Corral Creek. You used to be able to drive down to the river via Corral Creek, but they closed it off to vehicles after the fire.

These hikes are coming in from the west side of the river. Believe me, none of these three hikes in and out are for sissies. I've experienced excellent fishing in all three places. I fished with garden hackle back then, though

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Always rode the dirt bikes in there. Mostly from the east side. And b4 the fire. The best spots are fast and deep. By far the best method is throwing bait with a lot of split. Always loved it down there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sucks about the fishing. I was actually looking forward to giving that a try here shortly myself. I guess I didn't take into account the fire though. I'll probably end up seeing what it is all about anyways. It would just be nice not to fish crowded water on the Platte for once.

If your looking for info on access I went into REI (Denver) a couple months ago and talked to the on site forest service representative. He was very helpful and familiar with the area and was able to point everything out on maps. Might want to check there for access info and regs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree that will do, sometimes its just nice to have someone pointing out locations that has been there and can give you a little insight on what to expect.

Also, I find the National Geographic maps to be a lot better than the National Forest maps. They don't cover as big of an area, but have a lot more detail.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used to live by Crystal Peak north of Lake George and would occasionally walk from the house to the river there. I took a sleeping bag, corn meal, a little cooking oil and a cast iron skillet. Always had some bread and peanut butter too just in case the fish weren't biting.
Hares ear nymphs seemed to be the ticket down there for the little browns that were there at the time. I'd always catch 2 for breakfast then catch and release until I was hungry again...two more for lunch and then do the same for supper.
The last time down there was in 1993 and to my chagrin, I found a whole buttload of garbage and too many people. I packed out what I could haul and headed for Alaska the next week. Colorado was becoming too crowded for my taste.
I would probably not like what I see there now since the fire up there, so I'll give it a few more years if I ever go back again.
Ironically, given my dislike of crowds, I live in Colorado Springs (about 7 years now) and at times still pine for the solitude experienced in my youth. My wife is a different breed though, so I'll just find satisfaction in the memories and appreciate the different memories that are being made as time flies by.

W

·
0 Posts
Yearnin-fer Naknek said:
I used to live by Crystal Peak north of Lake George and would occasionally walk from the house to the river there. I took a sleeping bag, corn meal, a little cooking oil and a cast iron skillet. Always had some bread and peanut butter too just in case the fish weren't biting.
Hares ear nymphs seemed to be the ticket down there for the little browns that were there at the time. I'd always catch 2 for breakfast then catch and release until I was hungry again...two more for lunch and then do the same for supper.
The last time down there was in 1993 and to my chagrin, I found a whole buttload of garbage and too many people. I packed out what I could haul and headed for Alaska the next week. Colorado was becoming too crowded for my taste.
I would probably not like what I see there now since the fire up there, so I'll give it a few more years if I ever go back again.
Ironically, given my dislike of crowds, I live in Colorado Springs (about 7 years now) and at times still pine for the solitude experienced in my youth. My wife is a different breed though, so I'll just find satisfaction in the memories and appreciate the different memories that are being made as time flies by.
I'd rather be skunked and alone than in the middle ot lots of fish and crowds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well for the research for getting there i got it figured out. As of right now and talking to a few buddies that 4x4 i should be able to get 1mile or less from where i want to explore, thats all ill say, ill be checking it out either today or defiently by saturday. And yes i to rather be skunked then crowded and having people on top. Take care Exploring on Saturday and fishing on sunday.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I accessed it from Wild Cat Canyon and I will say you better have a winch or come-a-long just in case.

OH YEA, make sure you bring a fire arm or deadly knife. I always felt like I was being watched....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Carper beat me to it.....beautiful water from afar....alot of chocolate milk still from the fire residue. Found one good spot farther upriver from the dam that we caught some dinks....very very very deep boulder holes....caught that one nice rainbow in a bend pool with a black wooly bugger....i would love to see this area get better cause the landscape/scenery is amazing, and the structure of the river has tons of potential.

Carp and I hiked in about 4 miles straight down hill....needless to say the hike out was rough, but if him and I and his Italian Greyhound could do, then so can you!! Good Luck

and, oh yea, watch out for cats.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tarryall Creek "used" to fish really well down there as well...I haven't been back since before the fire, even then it was becoming a "Redneck Riviera" of sorts...gun shots through the night, whiskey, drugs and loud music...and that was just the woman and children..."Squeal like a pig boy" O0...ahhhh the good old days

W

·
0 Posts
Cast-a-way said:
Tarryall Creek "used" to fish really well down there as well...I haven't been back since before the fire, even then it was becoming a "Redneck Riviera" of sorts...gun shots through the night, whiskey, drugs and loud music...and that was just the woman and children..."Squeal like a pig boy" O0...ahhhh the good old days
I think they all went to Skaguay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts