Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North of C 470 and West of Santa Fe are six gravel pits just downstream ofChatfield. Has anyone fished these and would you mind sharing a little info. Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
I have fished these with no luck. The weather was bad when I fished it. I have seen people catch trout in the bigger pond. I also heard from a ranger that the occasional walleye washes down from Chafield and ends up in the pond closest to the river.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/south_platte_park_ponds_fishing.php

The cooling water might help the trout fishing, but I think they are mostly stockers. There could be some big ones in there, who knows.

Best of luck!

F

·
0 Posts
go to the articles section and read about them .....Don has a nice largemouth he pulled out of there....and in the picture section of colorado fisherman someone pulled out a really nice smallie out of there....I've heard of really nice trout in the big pond...someone told me the people in the house's around it paid years ago for some brutes to be stocked

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stopped by there monday for just an hour or so and fished spinners. Only fished the two gravel pits on the south end. Didn't even see a fish. Maybe I will try the big one north of mineral some time.

D

·
0 Posts
homeboy said:
Maybe I will try the big one north of mineral some time.
Last I knew that one was closed to fishing. There was a push to open it a few years ago, but the birders convinced the City of Littleton that fishing would disrupt the nesting of waterfowl around it.  (As if we need any more waterfowl in the metro area.)

M

·
0 Posts
well what you should do if u didnt this time is take c-470 west and before the plate canyon exit is a small exit thats only marked by a "right lane must trun right" sign or something like that, park in the dirt lot, the first pond you see will be on your left, dont fish it, walk along it bank and there is a tiny pond on the right as you are still walking, walk to the end of the first pond you are walking along and there is a big pond, almost a lake, fish that one

that may be confusing, but do it, hehehe

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did my best to follow your directions. Ended up in small fishing HOLE with a lid on it. Didn't catch a thing. Next time I will pay better attention. Thanks for the info ;o)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts