Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
This is my first posting here. I have fished in northern New Mexico for many years but my Colorado experience has been limited to the headwaters of the Rio Grande near Creede and the Culebra around San Luis. My question is.....I'll be camping at the Blue Mountain Campground just south of Lake George the first week of August. I've never fished this area and about all I know about the campground area is the South Platte and Elevenmile Canyon is nearby. Any help on hatches, flies, other streams in the area, helpful websites, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Also - was this area hurt by the fires around Colorado Springs from a couple of years ago?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
1st, welcome to the forum!
2nd, I am far from a fly fisherman but I do know South Park. You have the best waters on the South Platte from Spinney Mtn Reservoir all the way down to Elevenmile Canyon. You can start at Spinney which is flies and lures only and a chance for a big monster, then below there you have the Dream Stream into Elevenmile Res which is all Gold Medal waters. Can be pretty crowded most of the times there but it's Gold Medal for a reason! Below Elevenmile Res you have the canyon which can actually be better than the waters above. Hopefully someone can chime in here with the hatches and some better info for a fly fisherman. Good luck and be sure to come back with how you did!!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The fires aren't an issue at all. Personally, I'd spend the entire time at Spinney Mountain Reservoir. I'd bring a float tube and fish the Callibeatis hatch..Park in the first lot after the gate and fish Pheasant Tails..Hare's Ears in eight to twelve feet of water over the weeds..Water's going to be warm..use heavy tippet and release them quickly. Average fish will be 17 to 22 inches. They fight like a son-of-a-gun..

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/6-colorado-fishing-reports/105233-spinney-7-18-a.html

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
I thought Texans knew EVERYTHING-
They know where to come for the best info!!! :biggrin1::thumb:

Don't listen to Slayer though, he'll just tell ya to use a Kasty!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Dream Stream really isn't that great aside from the spawning runs in the early spring and then again in the fall. You can still do well in August on PMDs, Caddis, Terrestrials, and tricos.

Elevenmile Canyon is a better place to fish IMHO. Higher numbers of fish, better dry fly fishing, and none of those pesky little stocker rainbows that you find on the Dream Stream that will hit anything. The hatches are pretty much the same for Elevenmile Canyon, but the trico spinner fall here can be amazing. You could come across some runs that have over 50 fish rising to dead trico spinners. It usually starts around 9 a.m. and lasts for maybe an hour or so. Also, Elevenmile Canyon is an awesome place to fish streamers. If you see flows around 200 cfs and fish it at night, the streamer action should be non-stop.

Cheesman Canyon is another great place, arguably the best fishing on the South Platte. If you can make it up there it would be well worth it. Hatches again are pretty much the same, but Cheesman fishes better when nymphing. Go for the smaller patterns and lighter tippets when fishing Cheesman, or anywhere on the South Platte, especially if flows are under 200 cfs.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Fish spinney with nymphs/chironomids under an indicator for big Stillwater trout with a fly rod. Also lots of pike. The dream stream pretty much sucks save for a couple weeks out of the year. And it ain't during August. Eleven mile canyon is awesome. Bring small parachute Adams, tricos, streamers, midges, caddis, etc. eleven mile reservoir is a good place to chill and camp onshore and soak some bait. I've pulled a lot of really nice trout out of there with power bait. Also some good pike to be had here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everybody who helped me with their information. I talked to Pat Dorsey on the phone this morning. Really nice guy and very helpful. He said the problem with Elevenmile Canyon is going to be the hordes of people and the very great possibility that there will be a very low, very warm flow there this summer. He said they desperately need more snow in that area this spring.
Thanks again for all your help.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates on Elevenmile Canyon? Is it still closed? Some reports say it's open and some say still closed. I hate to see the very high flows for selfish reasons but I'm sure the water is needed.
Thanks for the information.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts