Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum as well as Colorado. I have moved here less than a year ago and I have never fished (yet) South Platte this time of the year.
I was wondering what type of patterns work best this time of the year.
Until a couple of weeks ago i was doing great but the hatches seem to have changed and i am not having much luck trying new ones.
Any help will be appreciated!

Cesar

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I do believe that particular subject has been been covered before---- try scrolling back through the posts here and im certain you will be able to find some info (and even pictures) that will give point you in the right direction... most of the tailwater patterns are fairly similar, so once you get setup for the south platte you can fish pretty much any of them...

good luck, :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
For patterns....small, small and smaller. I usually stick to midge patterns, not because other patterns don't work, but because I'm confident in them and they've always worked for me. Black Beauties, Miracle Midges, Blood Midges and Rainbow Warriors are my favs. I keep them in sizes 18-24, but 20's and 22's for this time of year will suffice. If the bugs are cooperating I'll throw a gray RS-II as a dropper, usually around 1-2ish. If you are lucky and the fish and weather gods cooperating, you may find yourself in a nice BWO hatch in the afternoon...this can be a humbling experience. I've done well with a 22 or 24 para-adams, but have also been stuck throwing every 24 in my box with no success. Nothing beats experience in the canyon, so try, try and try again and you'll start finding patterns that work for you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Everybody here has great advice. If you want something in print, Pat Dorsey's book "Fly Fishing the South Platte" is outstanding. He is very specific on patterns, sizes, etc. I bought mine thru Blue Quill Anglers on-line. It will hurt you in the wallet but I think it's worth it. John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent book, and if you do order through Blue Quill he'll autograph it for ya. I also like Ed Engles' "Fishing Small Flies." There is also a companion, "Tying Small Flies." that's equally good for the tiers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. I hit the river on sunday and i must say i had a blast.
I caught about 10 rainbows and 2 browns under the 16" limit and 1 18" rainbow (that i took home and it was very tasty!!) in about 4 hours.
I used small terrestrials, worms and some home-made ones. the most success was drifting and nimphing.

One more weekend for me before i gotta travel for work the whole month of november so i will try to hit the river again for some more fall flyfishing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yah...just a heads up - i wouldn't be surprised if you get some VERY dirty looks and maybe a few comments next time you keep a big one from up in Cheesman. My advice would be to go fish a put and take fishery and keep all you want to - let the big ones from the canyon go...the guys can be pretty rabid about keeping big fish like that...

brian

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
Surely he must be talking about the stretch around deckers below wigwam club? Everybody knows you cant keep 'em in cheeseman canyon above wigwam. If he's fishing in the "2 over 16" area" then by all means keep 'em if you want to!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is correct.
I hit the stretch between wigwam and scrawny (below wigwam for those that dont know the area) , about 1 mile from Scrawny and i thikn about 7 miles below Deckers.
From Wigwam to Scrawny is up 2 to 16" or more. no bait section.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts