Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever fish this section? Is there alot of private land close to lake george? Just curious....

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Totally private land south and north of Highway 24 at Lake George.

The river runs north under the highway, then west and north some more though private land a long ways though that meadow until you get back onto public water around Happy Meadows campground.

To my knowledge, there is only one member of this forum who has permission from the owner to fish this stretch. And it's amazing. But I'm not going to disclose who that forum member is.

After the Happy Meadows stretch, you can hike the South Platte trailhead around the private Sportsmans Paradise to get back on public water. Good fishing down there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Moony -

I read a report somewhere on the web by one of the guide shops, but could not find it again. It sounded like it is just like Cheesman canyon, but not all that accessible. The public sections that is. So, have your hiking shoes ready. They said the fish were average sized, but not really worth all the effort to get to them. Mainly browns in the 10-12" range. Basically, said, better options elsewhere.

I will keep looking and see if I can find that article.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know about close to Lake George, but I've hiked in a couple times to the SP above Cheesmen (below confluence of SP and Tarryall Cr). First trip I had some success (similar to Troutslayer's comments) and skunked the second trip. It's beautiful, but was sort of disappointed given that it's not very accessible.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.

Darrin

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Slayerfish has hiked in there quit a few times and he never really killed them like you would assume. He always did well on cheeseman itself back when it was 100% open. Maybe he will chime in but it sounded like the river was okay at best.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
WILD CAT CANYON! Haymen fire is devistated a lot of that area too. Some of the better water I've laid my eyes on but not worth the death hike in and out for So. Platter dinks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I used to make an annual backpacking/fishing trip down into Wildcat Canyon between Lake George and Cheesman.
It was rugged country and a steep climb out, but there was a real nice camping spot down there.
I always caught fish and there was lots of wildlife in the area....bears, turkeys, elk, deer and cats.
Best part was there were never any people down in the canyon....I think I saw one or two others fishing in 10 trips.
I have not been back into the canyon since the Hayman Fire.
Too bad the fire trashed that area......it will never be the same in my lifetime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hiked into that section twice. Once we started at the trailhead upstream from Happy Meadows going around the large area of private land. Once we hiked from a trail head on the Tarryall side up and over and down to the confluence of the S. Platte and Tarryall Creek.

I had high expectations due to the lack of fishing pressure, but ulitmately, I echo the other comments that the fishing was average at best--especially given all the hiking to get there.

I learned that just because a place is remote doesn't necessarily make it fantastic habitat--especially post Haymen fire.

Even though they get crowded, we are lucky to have amazing places like 11 mile, Chesseman, and Deckers to fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts