Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm google earthing on this fine Saturday at work, and wondering about the mainstem of the S. Platte after its confluence with the N. Fork and before it runs into Strontia. I can find NO info about fishing this stretch.

On Google Earth it looks like good water - higher flow volume after the confluence, less silty than between the confluence and Deckers, good structure, etc.

Has anyone fished this stretch? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
There is about a mile long path along the river before it cliffs out. We fished it quite a bit in the late 80's and early to mid 90's. Fishing was pretty good but not spectacular. I'd bet it gets hit somewhat hard. We used to hike along the path in the winter then hop on the river/lake and go in another mile or so. Ice fished Strontia and it was pretty incredible for bows.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
It sucks. It's filled in with gravel all the way to the cliffs. Was there 2 years ago. We used to fish it in the 70s incredible back then.

·
Registered
244 Posts
How's the tailwater out of Strontia these days? Use to be worth the bike ride up, weaving around retirees, and rattlesnakes but that was mid to late 80's. I always looked forward to getting in the mist on those hot summer days and catching some good fish.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How's the tailwater out of Strontia these days? Use to be worth the bike ride up, weaving around retirees, and rattlesnakes but that was mid to late 80's. I always looked forward to getting in the mist on those hot summer days and catching some good fish.
it has never recovered from the clean out work on Strontia Springs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's too bad. Have quite a few memories of that place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts