Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to be in the denver area at the end of october and will have 2 days to spend fishing....i have never fished this area so i am looking for any and all suggestions for where to fish withing a reasonable distance of denver (2-3hours) at this time of year.

of course the platte comes to mind, but from reading here it sounds like there are several good options.

thanks for any help you can offer.....
mcp

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you looking for the cold water trout or some warmwater stuff like walleye, bass, wiper or some of those toothy ones that go every ware pike/muskie?

the denver area is not my back yard but let these guys know what your after and they will let you know.

ps welcom to the site

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
The south platte above 11-mile (Dream Stream) is a good choice,lots of BIG fish,lots of BIG crowds.The SP below 11-mile is pretty good,also below Cheeseman dam and below the town of South Platte.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help so far, to clarify this i am after the cold running water trout.

thanks
mark

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
You can of course fish 11-mile and Spinney lakes for big trout too.I assume you're fly fishing?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Any of the sections of the South Platte mentioned above should be good producers for you. My advice is hit them on weekdays to avoid the crowds. also, if you havnt fished them (or any other tailwater of similiar nature) i would advise on reading up on them some...theres plenty of info on them in both books and on the internet, and they can be fairly technical. (small flies and tippets, not to mention it will most likely be nymph fishing under an indicator that you will want to do)

good luck, welcome to the site!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts