Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever fish the South Platte out east? Anywhere from Greely to Nebraska? I'm wondering if it's worth it for warm water species. Can you kayak fish it in any stretches or are there too many dams/obstructions? Just looking for some different fishing experiences.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There's carp. I have caught 2 bass near julesburg. Also seen some nice sauger come out of the lower stretches in nebraska. Once you get past Kearney you will start seeing more productive waters. The south platte from Greeley to the state line has pretty lame fishing opportunities. Plus the floods really did some work. It's a pretty nice float but in the summer some stretches can become nearly dry, so finding enough water can become an issue. Once the water reaches nebraska it is nearly all diverted into various canal systems.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Fishslap, I never bothered to fish it, but I have been up and down a good portion of the S Platte from Ft Morgan to Julesberg many times hunting and I'd agree with the o.p. that there isn't much in there other than carp.

There are some dam areas that hold some deeper water and may have something other than carp, but most of it is very shallow.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I seen some good looking spots around crook and sterling...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's what I figured. I tried some squirrel hunting up around Brush last year and was thinking about how the river might fish. Looks like it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
We used to put gutter nails through baseball bats and then wail on carp near Sterling. Probably an act of terrorism or something like that now. Hell of a lot of fun though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know a guy who catches limits of walleye on a regular basis out of the S. Platte, east of Sterling. Usually in late summer is when he does the best. He has sworn me to secrecy but the clues are there for you to add up. >:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts