Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the small pond at South Platte Ponds today, no luck. I saw tons of largemouth in shallow. They were very spooky and took off from everything I threw at them. I think if I had some crawlers on a float I could have snagged a few. I'll hit it again sometime this week.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catfishking said:
are u talking about those ponds off c470 and sante fe by the river what other kinds of fish are in those
Yes, those are the ponds. I'm not sure of (or have seen) other fish species other than the largemouth. I spoke to a guy last year about this time, that said there were walley in the large lake. I bet there are probably various pan fish and channel cats in those ponds.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i know there are bluegill, trout, large/small mouths, walleye & lots of crawdads & ducks ... watch out for muskrat nests ... i think i hooked one fishing by the branches to their home, i didnt know they were there until that .. everytime i was in that spot that rat would start swimming around about 1/2 hour before sunset

i spoke to a couple park rangers there, they transplanted a bunch of bass from cooley lake last fall & i was told walleye from chatfield may end up in there. But the walleye, from my guess would only be in ponds that connect to s. platte. Only one pond has access to river, i think another has a channel, but it was totally dried up last time i was there. So hope for a big runoff so that pond gets some new activity

I caught this fish there in early november '05

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the ponds are north of 470. Those are the South Platte Ponds Park. Dog ponds are south of 470. Speaking of the dog ponds here's a pic of a little something someting I caught last summer!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The ponds most of us call the dog ponds are on the south side of C-470. They are located in the park and are in the off leash dog area. I think you are required to have leashes at the ponds North of C-470.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts