Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

South Platte River

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rottal 
#1 ·
So, I'm new here and had a rather incredible "fishing" experience today. While doing some swift water rescue training in the South Platte River this morining my partner who is using a boogie board to negotiate the river spots what seems like a large fish under him. Well, he reaches down and grabs the fish which immediately starts to thrash about and he puts it between him and his boogie board while surfing the river. The thing is flopping so much that he has the idea to take off his swim fin and stuff the fishes head into it. Turns out it is a 29' walleye which weighs just shy of 10lbs. Can you become a Master Angler with a hand catch, because this fish rates.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

#8 ·
Heres a story along those same lines....

I was in oregon one time a few years ago while in the service doing some waterborne training with zodiacs near the Columbia River...another team was doing  practice runs of "breaking the surf" with their boats and got into some pretty rough waves while penetrating the surf zone...the Pacific along the coast of Oregon can get pretty rough sometimes.  anyways, to make a long story short, while they were running thier boat through some waves a big salmon flew out of the water and landed smack dab in the middle of thier boat and was flopping around...a guy had the precence of mind to grab it, so later that evening the whole team had a grilled salmon dinner...hey, whatever works i say.

#10 ·
Ive only been to Oregon a few times, and it rained every time i was there. Rilea was the name of the place we used to go, not to far from Portland. Im more of a mountain/wide open space type person i believe...but its an ok place to visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.