Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum the other day ;D And very glad I did. Any way I fished waterton last Tuesday and this afternoon. Last Tuesday I went up with a few friends and my spin cast and absolutely slayed'em. Started with a panther martin yellow bead gold spoon with red dots and caught two. I switched to eggs when everyone else was pulling them out left and right. Myself and one of the other guys I was with caught well over 20 each but few of any size the biggest being around 14" all rainbows except 2 small brooks. Male rainbows are definitely milting not sure but could be why egg pattern is so hot right now.

I went back this afternoon with my fly rod. I caught 8 in an hour and a half on a peach egg pattern in the same area as the first day. I have to say I have been very pleased with waterton it's been a few years since I've been there. Hope this helps someone catch a few.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What a better way to start your presence on the forum, but with a report. Sounds like a good day.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were definitely brooks I have never seen any up there before either. I lived in S.W. Littleton for a few years and fished waterton many many times but last week was my first time back to waterton since I moved back to Douglas county a few years ago. Actually this year is my first time back on the platte since the hayman fire. It's possible they might have been splake but I doubt it. I dont know if any of you are familiar with any of the small creeks out here basically between sedalia and monument but many are loaded with small brooks. (well at least before the drought)I pretty much grew up fishing for them when ever I could so I im fairly quick to recognize them. Any way it was a very nice surprise.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hmm...maybe something different to look forward to. I fish waterton religiously to the point where I recognize certain fish I have hooked more then once. It was really sad last summer to see one of the few good 18" browns I had hooked leave on a stringer from below the diversion. I recongnized the fish instantly because of the scar across it's head and the time I spent stocking that particular fish. Even then in all my time stalking fish last summer, no brookies for me to speak of! I don't see why their wouldn't be brookies, I see it being a fairly classic brook stream in some areas.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I caught a huge trout a few months ago up above marsten dam. was probaly 20+"

spit the fly when it saw me coming with the net ... my heart sank, was the biggest fish I ever caught with a fly

so I never got a good look at it, but it had huge red areas on its body ... i know for sure it was not a normal rainbow, may have been a very colorful cutthroat .. is a mystery ... i bet brookies come down from the mountains with no problem. esp. when that water gets flowing

Caught it right after they refilled the little lake above marsten. It definatly did not look like any waterton fish Ive seen before

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if it was a cutbow. Two of my friends have pulled out a couple cutbows both over 5lbs. But above Strontia I thought they were escapees from wigwam. Just curious but does anyone know if they are stocking hybrids in the south platte? (besides the private clubs)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts