Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the flow reports yesterday,120 cfs.at the dream stream.loaded up,drove out to the first parking area at the charlie meyers section today.Walked all the way to elevenmile,turned around and walked back.The water was mostly ankle deep,saw 1 dead large brown trout.What a poor excuse for a gold metal water.Got home and one of most reputable guides had posted on facebook that the water board had lowered the flow to 47cfs.He was telling people to stay away,this river should be renamed the dream on stream.If any of you on this forum have never fished the Gunnison,Fryingpan,Taylor tailwater,Roaring fork rivers you are missing the best Colorado has to offer.This so called gold metal water is anything but that.:(:(:embarassed:

·
Registered
216 Posts
The DS had its day 20 years ago and been going south ever since. High pressure-low flows has added to its demise.

11 mile can. and cheeseman is still decent on the Platte.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nightmare Stream

I have for years avoided this piece of water, when I drive by the RT 59 crossing, going to 11 Mile, and see 15-20 cars in that one parking lot I ask myself who enjoys the "Sport" of Full Contact Trout Fishing. The Pan can be bad but having just spent three days over there it's nothing as insane as this piece of water. I fished 10 hours on the Pan and had 74 fish to net, try that on the "Dream Stream
Bill

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The Dream Stream is for tourists and purists.......Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy overrated and overfished. Plenty of places to catch fish up 20"+ that don't have half their face torn up or flies hanging from one end to the other.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They lower the water every year around this time with no obvious care for spawning fish; $$+politics = root of all evil.

While the DS does get hammered; IMO it can still be productive.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The Dream Stream is for tourists and purists.......Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy overrated and overfished. Plenty of places to catch fish up 20"+ that don't have half their face torn up or flies hanging from one end to the other.
It is really gone downhill. It was good 10-15 years ago but now since everybody decided to come to Colorado, I now leave Colorado to fish

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
we used to fish it in mid-winter when ice-fishing at the mile was beating us down.

It was OK for some large fish then with no crowds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Man that really sucks. I have no experience on fishing the DS but based on your description that provides me enough to not gain any experience. How can a stretch of gold medal water and known to be somewhat iconic to most fishermen be managed in this way. Ankle deep water, WTF? I've dealt with the crowds on the Pan and Taylor in my early years of fishing but have lost interest unless its the middle of winter. Caught the 10lb photograph fish but doesn't appeal to me anymore. The 74 fish count is on the Pan is doable especially fishing below the hog trough and bend area. Hit it right and every cast can be a hook up. Seems like the 'good 10-15 year ago' talk is a trend on many waters lately. Why is that? More fishermen, poor management, drought, etc. Good to hear from those that have the notches on their belt since I've only been fishing for 10 years and the early years was spent undoing wind knots and not landing fish :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
This happens to a certain degree every year. Exactly zero rivers in this state have their water levels managed with fish in mind. The DS can be ankle deep and void of fish today and flowing well and kicking out 25"+ fish tomorrow.

Those hogs do not live in that river, they are just visiting from the Mile which is also why they can be so easy to catch often times.

Love it, hate it, that's the DS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I fish it maybe once or twice a year and typically have a good day, you just have to pick your days wisely. None of those big fish are residents and are there only for the spawn and for a little while after.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Man that really sucks. I have no experience on fishing the DS but based on your description that provides me enough to not gain any experience. How can a stretch of gold medal water and known to be somewhat iconic to most fishermen be managed in this way. Ankle deep water, WTF? I've dealt with the crowds on the Pan and Taylor in my early years of fishing but have lost interest unless its the middle of winter. Caught the 10lb photograph fish but doesn't appeal to me anymore. The 74 fish count is on the Pan is doable especially fishing below the hog trough and bend area. Hit it right and every cast can be a hook up. Seems like the 'good 10-15 year ago' talk is a trend on many waters lately. Why is that? More fishermen, poor management, drought, etc. Good to hear from those that have the notches on their belt since I've only been fishing for 10 years and the early years was spent undoing wind knots and not landing fish :)
All streams have minimum flow requirements. I'd guess the minimum flow allowed at the DS is 47cfs, to ensure fish and other life in the river can survive. The crowds are typical of any tailwater around here. It definitely detracts from the overall experience, but the allure of bigger than average fish will always keep people coming. I like to fish the tailwaters when they are releasing higher than normal flows. Fish are less spooky and the higher flows move fish out of their normal comfort zones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That sucks. I don't remember them lowering the water so early but that was late 80's. Two years ago(?) I went late October and flows were great. Hooked a brown that I think could have broke 30" but lost it to the fence. Really wished I had my GoPro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts