Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fishing at 11 Mile I was getting the sail boat it inspected. I kept getting electric shocks off the boat. The inspector did not want to touch the boat either.
Shocks felt like a pulse off a fish finder. Enough energy to leap about 3/4 inch.
I'm pretty sure my fish finder was off and the electric trolling motor was off. No other power on the boat.
The shocks stopped when I dropped a wet line to the ground.
There was a thunderstorm developing, but no nearby lighting.
This was also the first time I was skunked at the mile this year. Not even a bump. I'm blaming the electric pulses on the skunk.
When I got home no problems found with the fish finder or the trolling system.
Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Was the mast up? I have had rods hum up at 11 mile when storms were around, lower the rod and the hum goes away.

If it was not the clouds/mast, it has to be a short in the postive side of the battery somewhere. Wet down the boat and take a mulitmeter, put the positive side of the multimeter on the watered side/portion of the boat and then the negative on the wet ground or trailer. If your needle moves then it is your battery.

My thoughts are that it was static electircity from the storm, arching 3/4 of an inch is not something a short in the battery can produce.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me at Spinney, but not as strong. Some light rain chased us off the lake. We put the boat on the trailer and moved to the parking lot to clean up. When we grabbed the flyrods out of the boat (aluminum boat), they were arching to the boat in pulses. The arching was about half an inch and made a fast tic-tic-tic-tic-tic sound. We put the rods down quick and sat in the truck for a while.

This spring during a sleet storm, I got a light zap through my fly rod at Spinney walking back to the truck. It felt like one of my flies stuck into my finger holding the rod. But it happened the exact time a lightning bolt went off in the clouds above me. So I think there was a small discharge from my fly rods to the me to the ground. I am glad the bolt stayed in the clouds because I think I was option B.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If your hair starts flying up and standing on end, look out. Time to get out of that area, someplace lower if you can. :eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sparking sounds more like static to me too. You can get electrostatic reducers like they have on airplanes to put on your mast. Just dont waste your money buying FAA approved ones because I don't think they're hard to make yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts