Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious (spring vs fall), how would yall go about describing and differentiating betweeen the spawing behaviors of rainbows in comparison to browns?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
They both go through about the same procedure. The female digs a pit in loose gravel, and after spawning moves upstream and churns gravel with her tail to cover the eggs. It takes a month to a month and a half for the eggs to hatch depending on temperature, and then the fry wiggle up through the gravel to reach the water.

Why do you ask, Grasshopper?

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
There are some bo's around that spawn in the fall. The browns spawn in a shorter window than the bos also. Browns spawn pretty much in oct-dec. Bo's spawn from oct-june.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have yall found bows to be as aggressive as browns during the spawn. My encounters with spawning browns left me with the impression that they are pissed off territiorial fish who will hit anything that looks like trouble. I can't say I have sceen that type of behavior out of the rainbows.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
Bo's just aren't as aggressive a fish as browns or macs or brookys.THe bo's aggressiveness seems related to eating more than spawning. IMO-

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
There are some bo's around that spawn in the fall. The browns spawn in a shorter window than the bos also. Browns spawn pretty much in oct-dec. Bo's spawn from oct-june.
I agree about the bows. I have actually caught spring run browns too, but not in the quantity as fall run rainbows. In the colorado river, browns don't start spawning until mid november and end in early january, but that is due to warmer water temps.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I havnt seen browns "pod up" in the same numbers as rainbows...and they still tend to be much more on the shy side when they do group up. Sometimes rainbows are hard to spook when they spawn in rivers, but ive rarely seen browns stick around long when you walk up on them in spawning mode...

In lakes i have seen spawning browns jump and make a lot more surface commotion than rainbows do while chasing each other...i dont know if this is always the case, but have noticed this quite a bit.

as far as catching them its about the same....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Still water Brown trout tend to do such a thing to jump during spawing. They are Female trying to break the egg sack. If you pay close attention, you will see them landed on their side, not head down.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea...I knew walking eagle would chime in with something when I posted this topic. Only I was expecting his first reply to be something to the nature of how do they spawn..."mostly doggy style" ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts