Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Spawn Sacs...how do I do the following...

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Zman 
#1 ·
Ok I have never used the things...usually a lure guy...or fly...but spring is coming and I have some fresh eggs from a fish...

I went and bought the Atlas kit with netting, magic thread and the little diamond shaped metal kit for filling a sac...

I get everything...except...but the greenhorn rookie throw the virgin fisherman in the volcano doesnt get the following...

How big should these things be when I get done for best results...dime size?, penny sized? nickel sized?, quarter sized? or bigger?

Ok after done freeze them in an air tight compartment...Slayer uses old bait jars...

When I use them how do you attach them to a hook?...just skewer the hook through the mesh bag?...what sized hook?

I looked online but didnt find anything...

G
#4 ·
I've used spawn sacs alot both in hard and soft water. Under ice for macks, I like mine about the size of a quater. For Rainbows and Browns in the spring, summer and fall, I tie them about the size of a dime or nickle. I don't like the egg cure that is sold to cure eggs, the eggs just don't seem to be as effective.

#6 ·
I cut a square of panty hose, put a spoon full of eggs in the middle, bring in all the sides and sew shut with needle and thread about quarter size. I fish them with a treble but make sure to leave plenty of hook exposed. The fish CANNOT get the bait off the hook and I generally catch several fish per bait.

#7 ·
I have found that little metal thingy with the sac tying kit to be a total pain in the butt. IMO, get rid of it. The "magic" thread is designed to hold tight without tying any knots or sewing. All you have to do to tie a nice tight spawn sac (I make mine about nickel size) is take a piece of netting, pantyhose,or whatever about 3 inches square and place a blob of eggs in the center. Pull up the edges and hold the loose edge in your left hand with the package sticking out to your right. Wrap a few wraps of magic string around the top and pull tightly. then wrap a few more wraps around and pull until the thread breaks. cut off the extraneous netting at the thread and freeze in airtight baggies or jars. Easy. Then use a single hook skewered right thru the center of the sac. We used to use these in fast streams when I was a kid and the trout loved em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.