Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to admit it. I don't know the first thing about spawning. I know it's about reproduction but that's about it. What's the deal with spawning fish? Is this a good time to fish for them? Untill last year I never really went after anything besides trout. But now I'm all about multi species fishing. I have heard people talking about bass, bluegill, trout, and walleye spawning on the forum. Should I be planning for this? Do all fish spawn at the same time? I always read you guys talking about the spawn and finnaly decided to admitt my ignorance. Thank for the info!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fishing for spawning fish is up to the individual fisherman.  Some believe that by disrupting fish during their spawn, you can negatively effect their efforts which equals less fish for you and me.  Others believe that you do not do any or little harm by fishing during a spawn. 

Every fish spawns at different times...even within a same species.  While some bass will spawn as soon as the water hits 60-70 degrees others are late spawners.  During this time, it is easy to catch fish.  Put a worm or jig in a bass bed and it is only a matter of time before the male bass picks up your lure in an attempt to keep the bed clear...not difficult.  Bluegill are the same way.  They attack anything that invades their space.
Temp is the key. 

I fish spawning fish. I dont target them persay...but if the oportunity reveals it self. I believe that if we really were concerned about fish populations, we would not want to catch fish before as well as during a spawn. I never hear anyone saying "Dont fish the Pre-Spawn bass!" That is an important time for fish...they are trying to fatten up a bit before the spawn...where they basically starve themselves until their fry hatch.....

Hope that helps (and is accurate),
Pondfisher

1 - 2 of 2 Posts