Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a great 2 weeks of nice weather and easy catching.
Takes less than an hour to limit most days.
No ANS inspections...It's almost like going back in time to the good old days.
With another high water year Granby's doing what it does best.
The fish are still piled up, sex and food is keeping it going.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good looking smoker there full of eater sized fish. I always look forward to this time of year for the laker bite.

Do you smoke lake trout different than other fish? I've only smoked salmon and rainbows, laker meat seems much more oily. I have been wondering if it needs to be prepared or cooked differently?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you smoke lake trout different than other fish? I've only smoked salmon and rainbows, laker meat seems much more oily. I have been wondering if it needs to be prepared or cooked differently?
I use the same method as Salmon, the natural oil in the Lakers is what makes them one of the best fish smoked, thats the best Omega 3 you can find.
I use a pretty basic brine of Brown sugar and salt, added some pure maple syrup and going with apple wood this time. I don't like Teriyaki or adding too much to the brine. Drying the fish overnight helps it should be tacky but not wet when you start smoking.
I go with just 3 or 4 hours of smoke so it's not overpowering.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Thanks for the report. I almost went that way last weekend.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sounds good. My brine mix is similar, I keep it simple but add a very little bit of chilli powder and worcester sauce. I've been using alder wood for a milder taste. I haven't tried fruit woods yet

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. My brine mix is similar, I keep it simple but add a very little bit of chilli powder and worcester sauce. I've been using alder wood for a milder taste. I haven't tried fruit woods yet
Sounds very good, give the Lake Trout a try next time:thumb:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
...and get us a limit quickly!

Thanks again friend. It was a fun time, enya jams and all. Lol

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Had a couple cff members stop by and say hi yesterday afternoon. Was a good excuse to get the boat wet and bloody again.
8)

Awesome report, I'm going to be there Saturday looking for some big mommas.
I was planning either a pike or laker trip, but something has come up and I need to be home this weekend...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I've seen other forums using this same format have the ability to "like" a persons comment or post.

We should add that here.
Screw that. I could care less about fins up or down lol

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Steve how big/old do you think that fish is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't measure him but he looked like about 35"s
We've recaptured tagged fish that size recorded from 20-40 years old.
Some switch to a fish diet and grow and some are perfectly happy with a Mysis shrimp diet with very slow growth. The tagged large fish grew an average of a half inch a year. A 20" Laker could be 10-20 years old.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts