Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

When springtime bass fishing, what best describes your tactics?

• I sight fish bedding bass, and harvest all fish caught

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sight fish bedding bass, and keep a few bass

• I fish bass spawning or not, but release all caught

• I refuse to fish bedding bass alltogether

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a 4lb LMB came out of a very small pond that was harvested - just curious what the general opion of bass fishermen is...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Weezy said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Thanks for your detailed input!
My post originally read that you needed another option along the lines of "I don't fish for bedding bass", but by the time I posted it you had modified your poll to include that option.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weezy said:
Thanks for your detailed input!
My post originally read that you needed another option along the lines of "I don't fish for bedding bass", but by the time I posted it you had modified your poll to include that option.
Ah - no problem ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll fish for them regardless of if it's prespawn, bedding, or post. However, I don't keep any bass I catch. There is a reservoir by me with a nice population of 8-12" smb with nice little pot bellies that I'll probably be taking a few though.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swimbait said:
Need another option...

I fish during the spawn but don't target beds. I look for staging fish.

I always let 'em go.

SS
I thought this would be close enough?

I fish bass spawning or not, but release all caught

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
^ good point. But I still think that going out and bird dogging beds is different than fishing deep fish and passing up beds.

I have a habit that I do in the spring. I call it "window shopping." I just get out and walk ponds (we don't have lakes, lol) and see what I can see. I have found some good spots this way.

I love bass. I mean, to an almost irrational degree. I have raised them. I like the way they look, the way they smell, their attitude, all of it. I guess this makes me some sort of bestial-voyeur, but I like to just watch the fish spawn. They light up like a watermellon rind. They almost glow! If I were prone to anthropomorphizing, I would say they look happy at times, and at times tense and excited.

A few years back I was up in Boulder, having a real busy day catching bedding bass. I was having one of those out-of-body days, my head was floating I was so happy. I had seen snakes, birds, insects, all of this activity, and it was awesome! Plus, I was mad TEARING UP the bass.

My best bass in state is eight pounds. I was creeping along grinning my idiot head off, and I saw something that made my heart beat very fast. A HUGE female bass, all lit up, was spawning in a couple feet of water by a beaver hut with a couple three pound, big males. The sow was over eight pounds I am convinced. I stood there to let my nerves cool down, so I would not botch my presentation. And then something funny happened... I just lost any interest in catching them. I stood there and watched them for a half an hour or so, and walked back to the car.

I have not bed fished since that.

SS

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swimbait said:
^ good point. But I still think that going out and bird dogging beds is different than fishing deep fish and passing up beds.

I have a habit that I do in the spring. I call it "window shopping." I just get out and walk ponds (we don't have lakes, lol) and see what I can see. I have found some good spots this way.

I love bass. I mean, to an almost irrational degree. I have raised them. I like the way they look, the way they smell, their attitude, all of it. I guess this makes me some sort of bestial-voyeur, but I like to just watch the fish spawn. They light up like a watermellon rind. They almost glow! If I were prone to anthropomorphizing, I would say they look happy at times, and at times tense and excited.

A few years back I was up in Boulder, having a real busy day catching bedding bass. I was having one of those out-of-body days, my head was floating I was so happy. I had seen snakes, birds, insects, all of this activity, and it was awesome! Plus, I was mad TEARING UP the bass.

My best bass in state is eight pounds. I was creeping along grinning my idiot head off, and I saw something that made my heart beat very fast. A HUGE female bass, all lit up, was spawning in a couple feet of water by a beaver hut with a couple three pound, big males. The sow was over eight pounds I am convinced. I stood there to let my nerves cool down, so I would not botch my presentation. And then something funny happened... I just lost any interest in catching them. I stood there and watched them for a half an hour or so, and walked back to the car.

I have not bed fished since that.

SS
Thanks for sharing - I can respect that

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swimbait said:
Gladly. It still gives me a chill to think about those fish.

I go catch their offspring from time to time... ;)

SS
I can't say I am that close to wild bass, but I've got a decent size tank with some cichlids that go through a similar spawning process that is pretty cool to observe. Although that tank is getting pretty crowded! :D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I selected the "I will fish for 'em in spawn and C&R 100% of the time." I will say that during the spawn I don't like fishing for bass that much. I can't say I've never caught one off a bed, but I normaly like to go for the females which are no longer paired up with the male and are off the beds. When I see all the largemouths spawning I like to go for smallies because usually I find they are done with the spawn by that point. {a lot of times I go for other fish entirely}.I heard stories about a guy who would go to Texas during tjhe spawn and fish live waterdogs on beds...he had landed several ten pounders over the years doing that. I was unimpressed, for me it would be cool to catch a ten pound bass, but using live waterdogs on beds is more like traping than hunting. The guy in that story also kept a lot of those fish I believe.... :p

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
swimbait said:
Are you sure that he was not FROM Texas? Sounds like typical Texan crap to me... :mad:

SS

No he was from here in Estes Park...James and I worked with his wife. He grew the water dogs in a pond at his house and then brought them down there during the spawn every year.... :p. Sorry to say but it's not a sporting way to fish, bass can be caught by other means. And then to keep 'em....... :'(

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
JWurgaft said:
swimbait said:
Are you sure that he was not FROM Texas? Sounds like typical Texan crap to me... :mad:

SS

No he was from here in Estes Park...James and I worked with his wife. He grew the water dogs in a pond at his house and then brought them down there during the spawn every year.... :p. Sorry to say but it's not a sporting way to fish, bass can be caught by other means. And then to keep 'em....... :'(
I dunno, perhaps it is poetic justice that a guy from Colorado goes and kills some Texas fish now and then... >:D

SS

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
swimbait said:
JWurgaft said:
swimbait said:

SS

I dunno, perhaps it is poetic justice that a guy from Colorado goes and kills some Texas fish now and then... >:D

SS

I'm sure Texas can handle it better than Colorado can....He may have not kept very many of them but I'm pretty sure he kept some and mounted them..anyway he could be at his house showing people his mounted bass saying look what I caught! And if people knew it was a bedded bass caught with a live water dog few people who know anything about bass fishing would be real impressed by that...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
True dat! ;D

And Texas CAN ABSOLUTELY handle it better than we can! ::)

I bet he was fishing O.H. Ivie, 'dogs are a cult at that lake thanks to Butch and Bobbie Gayle.

SS

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Anybody who keeps bass, whether spawning or not, doesn't fish out of my boat. There are plenty of fish to catch and keep, bass isn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JWurgaft said:
swimbait said:

SS

That sounds rather cowardly and offensive to take bass that way

1 - 20 of 24 Posts