Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what fish do you fish for during the spawn or when they are bedding .......and what are you beliefs on the hole issue .....I stay away from bass fishing when they are on there beds to me its not fishing and it benifits the lake if you just let them do there thing . I would be ok if they closed the bass lakes while they are spawning but i know it would be impossible cause every lakes temp is different ....just wanted to know what everyone else thought not just about bass but fishing the spawn for anything ..... ???

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you catch a bass on a bed then release it, it goes directly back to the bed. Unless there are some gills hiding in the shadows usually it doesnt hurt anything.

I tend not to target spawning fish, but its hard to be at a lake somewhere and see a huge bass sitting under a tree and on a bed and pass it up. Or to be fishing a section of water where salmon are running for the thrill of catching alot of salmon in a short amount of time.

I do not plan my trips for the spawns but if I'm there and its legal to fish it at that time I will probably fish it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem with that but there are so many people that get frustrated and try to snag the fish instead of catching it properly .....We have all annoyed a bass into hitting our lures at some point or another in life ...to see these guys snag fish drives me nuts(bass only im not talkin kokanee) I know one thing for sure they need to outlaw wading in bass lakes during the spawn Ive seen so many over eager fisherman walk right through beds .....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I don't fish exactly when LM spawn, but the prespawn is great for me. I guess it's cause I don't get as much strikes. I usually walk around the lake in search for cruising fish that seem like they're late for courtship. Don't get me wrong, some of my largest LMs have been caught by annoying them with lures on their beds, but that type o' action aint too consistant for me.

Like Epic says, it's hard to pass up so I'll at least try if I even see a big LM on it's bed. I aint against it, but I'm with you on the wading part. It doesn't ruffle any of my feathers for I'm a pretty laid back cat, but I think it does affect bass when they're trying to reproduce and then people trample onto their spawning beds.

However, fishing a false wiper spawn (if you can find something like that) is like nothing else!!

1eyeReD

·
Banned
487 Posts
I am okay with targeting spawning bass if they are released. Usually though I target pre or post spawn bass.
Now there are still lots of trout creeks that need to be closed because people will harvest big spawning trout fresh out of lakes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am very guilty of target spawning bass. I have been doing it for twenty years. Probably not the best thing for them but Im a greedy bast---. I always release them as soon as the picture is snapped. I have landed some of my biggest bass this way.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
McFish-Shame on you!! :) Personally, I try not to target spawning bass but I'm sure I catch some and never know they were on the bed. If you bass fish here in CO in May or June you're bound to hook some. Putting them back right away is the key but those bluegills are quick and if a bass is caught and the predators rush in the bass will sometimes just abandon the bed.

Most of my bigger bass here in CO have come pre-spawn. March, April, even February.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
kirbydog said:
Most of my bigger bass here in CO have come pre-spawn.  March, April, even February. 
Yep!! Mostly late March and early April are my favorite times to fish for big LM & SM. The February bass is rare though so I give you props on that.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I would say no on fishing bedded Bass. Too many of the places I fish are places that were "off the hook" or "unbelievable" years ago. I just started Bass fishing this season, but love it. I've caught a ton, but only one I could brag about. To be honest, I've caught very few over 16" I haven't even caught alot over 15", and the ones I did were just over. I also had a daughter this spring, and can't wait to introduce her to fishing, especially Bass fishing. Aside from this site, 5 of my friends have gotten pretty into fishing for Bass since me. Alot of people I meet fishing are new to, or looking to get into Bassin. So while the sport seems to be growing, I don't hear about any new great places to fish. Instead, I hear about places being run down/fished out.
   I'm going on here, I guess my point is. If there is a chance of hurting the fishery. I don't want to take it.
   Berfore I get off my soapbox  :-[ I will admit, that I'm sure that I could be tempted into it. I wouldn't go out w/ that as my agenda though.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this might be getting a little to deep but oh well.....I was fishing in one of the rivers I fish quite a bit that people dont think has big fish ...it was early spring and i had already landed two over 20 inches .....there was one fish in the pool that was quiet a bit bigger then they others ......this was in the spring when rivers and streams are really low and clear ...finally from a far distance with my fly rod I got him to take a wooly bugger not used to catching fish that big on a fly rod he got off ....im sure he was over 8lbs easily he made the other fish look small and a couple I landed were over 5 ...the pool I was fishing I could have easily dropped bait right infront of his nose or snagged him ...but once you fish for a certain species for so long you gain a great deal of respect for the fish ...if you dont your not an outdoorsman and poker might be your thing .....I went back weekend after weekend for that same fish that stayed in the same hole hooked him 5 times and couldnt bring him in .....The last trip before run off started I took my cousin to my hole and we fished for a while when I finally had to pee I came back to see him rippin a kastmaster through the hole trying to snag that big fish . As soon as I seen it I began yelling and sceaming to my older cousin about whats right and wrong and what he was attepting to do cheapend the whole fishing expierience .......bottom line sometimes the big ones might be vunurable(spelling b champ 89') but repspect them enough to let them do there thing .....would you like an alien to pick you off your old lady ? long drawn out senceless post but at least I got it

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im not one to talk but

vunurable(spelling b champ 89')
i cant even find that in the dictionary or on line?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fishinguitars said:
this might be getting a little to deep but oh well......... long drawn out senceless post but at least I got it
Nope, not a senseless post at all. I appreciate what you're talking about. Know just what you mean.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have altered my ethics a bit on the bass spawn. Now I try to focus on the pre-spawn and absolutely avoid running my gear through the nest.

I may pitch near the nest and "irritate" a fish into hitting but literally force myself to walk past a spawning pair if I think eggs have been laid. I have also documented spawning bass at lakes where I release the fish and it returns to the nest area almost instantly.

Now for trout....

I like to target browns in the fall when they get active for spawn but very wary not to trample all over their spawning areas if I am wading. I have seen a lot of folks just go right in and practically step on fish trying to get to a tasty tail water section. (it would be so annoying but they could have easily taken a second to look down and then walk around the fish)

I've also heard many stories about snagging big browns at Delaney.

Rainbows...I'm extra careful here. I've been told that too much silt in the water can damage their eggs. Native bows tend to be more sensitive than browns so I soem extra caution is warranted.

Perch...nail those darn things before spawn. They are plump, tasty and should be carried out in buckets! Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
about the bows maybe someone these days might have the answer to this

can we find out what streams are wirling desease free and or support succesfuly spawning/selfsustaing populations of bows

i would refrain from fishing any succesful bow spawning areas totaly during or even around spawn time but if the offspring are just going to die from WD i might fish during the spawn

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
along the same line of ethics, the kokonee salmon are now making their way back to the roaring Judy Hatchery above Gunnison, to get their they are having to run the gaunlet of fly fisherman targeting them to catch and release.  the problem is that most of the release fish will die because of the stress of being caught.  It kills me that these "elite" catch and release guys are killing the fish right before they spawn.  the Dow refuses to close the river because of fear of out cry from local outfitters about lost fishing opprutnity.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I don't fish for centrarchids (bass, sunfish, crappie, etc.) while they are guarding their nest, because I want to give the young every chance to survive. Giving the young every chance to survive includes not hassling the parent!

Most other kinds of fish (trout, pike, etc.) desert the nest after spawning, so the question never comes up. But even with those, it would be best to forgo catching them until after they have spawned, unless you plan to release them.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
Perch...nail those darn things before spawn. They are plump, tasty and should be carried out in buckets! Just my opinion of course.
When I was at the marina @ Blue Mesa there was probably 200 perch chillin under the dock... Guys up there need to nail these guys when the ice is on. No bag limit for perch there.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
I tried and tried during spring, but only carried a couple out on a stringer. However, could've brought the numerous 9 to 10 inchers out which were also nice and plump, but I chose to keep the few exceeding 12 inches. That was a blast.... And a great meal it was, too!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
Mattsabasser said:
When I was at the marina @ Blue Mesa there was probably 200 perch chillin under the dock... Guys up there need to nail these guys when the ice is on.  No bag limit for perch there.
which marina was that at and were there any size to them or just little guys

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
ePiC said:
Mattsabasser said:
When I was at the marina @ Blue Mesa there was probably 200 perch chillin under the dock... Guys up there need to nail these guys when the ice is on.  No bag limit for perch there.
which marina was that at and were there any size to them or just little guys
Not for sure which marina it was, I rented a boat there. (they included gas, only place I called that did that) There were some that were pan size and alot of little ones but enough to feed a big family atleast. I'm sure if you called the marina and asked if they are the dock that has the million perch under it, they would tell you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts