Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Spectator sees beast

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pondfisher 
#1 ·
I was fishing Riverbend ponds in Fort Collins and saw this fly fisher being really sneaky. I myself fish with spinning tackle but I really enjoy watching fish get taken on the fly so I stood back a few yards behind him to see the action. Anyways this guy was stalking a monster carp. The fishermen got a bite and set the hook. Fort the next 15 minutes I saw this guy play tug of war with something akin to a log. After he beached it he picked the sucker up and his wife took a picture...the carp was HUGE!!!! Must of weighed at least 25lbs. I had a camara but I did not take the pic...felt like paparatzi work....anyways he was using a nyph of some sort...just wanted to share..

Pondfisher

#4 ·
There is a fly I use to use to fish for carp called a Clouser Swimming nymph, its pretty reasonable to tie, but it really works well on carp- I wonder if that is what he was using- to die hard carp fly fisherman many of them hold the clouser swimming nymph as sacred.

#5 ·
Its very possible that is what he was using...im fairly new to the whole fly-fishing thing. It was really neat to see someone net such a large fish on what seemed like a very thin pole and line. I can only imagine how a fish like that feels on fly fishing tackle!

Pondfisher

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.