Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to the north platte on saturday and learned to spey cast and wee happened to hook up with some really nice browns on steamers. If you all get the chance you should float the norht platte, it is on fire up on grey reef.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Having minimal knowledge about a lot of things flyfishing, I have to ask. What exactly is Speycasting? I've seen the term many times but don't really know much about it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its using a really long two handed rod. you dont false cast with it, and you use streamers. its normally used for salmon or steelhead. You can cast much farther when you get good with it than you can with a conventional flyrod. its used for covering a lot of water on the big salmon rivers

·
Registered
163 Posts
A Speyrod is a long (10-18 feet), two handed fly rod. A Speycast is a method of casting reasonably long distances when you have a limited amount of room behind you. Most often you speycast with a speyrod. But some folks say that speycasting with a normal rod can be very helpful in some situations. Learning how to speycast is on my to-do list this year.

·
Registered
991 Posts
A 10 to 18 foot rod? As Peter Boyles alsways says on Everybody Loves Raymond "Holy CRAP" How does a fish play on a rod like that. I know I love catching fish on my flyrod. Is it like that but amplified? Sound pretty fun!

·
Registered
991 Posts
TimberlineArcher said:
well... one thing is for sure... you dont want to fish for bluegills with them... haha
;D That was pretty good!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
dryfly09, Why'd you learn to spey cast? Are you headin' somewhere to try for steelhead or salmon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts