Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might go against my purist fly fishing upbringing and bring my spining tackle up to spinney tommorow. I am only good with it on the ice or with bait. What type of spinners/spoons/cranks work well up there for trout? I always here tube jigs work great as well. How do you fish them from shore? Cast out and slow retrieve? Twitch twitch and reel in slack? Any help would be great. Thanks as always.

Last time I fished below the parking lot just after the dam. Should this still be good? Should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
902 Posts
panther martins are one of the best beginer lures. the spiner blade desighn makes them run at almost any speed return. another great setup that would probibly kill at spinny is a pistol-peat fly behind a casting bubble. Pistol-peats are like woolybuggers w/ a prop spinner at the front of them. you can also pull them behind lead if the fish are deeper. the prop will spin w/ a very slow retreive. i've only fished spinny once, and a castmaster did preaty well for me-
good luck

·
Registered
833 Posts
Try a rapala floating minnow bait in rainbow or brown trout pattern. Tubes work well but I fish them more vertically than horizontal. Give them a try.
A gold spoon is pretty good stand by and it will catch pike too.
Probably the smaller the better for these baits until teh water warms up some. Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kastmasters. Like the name implies you can cast them a mile (which can get you into more zones for fish, esp. since it isn't your regular gear), they have action at a number of speeds, and for whatever reason they always produce. Gold is doing good at Spinney right now from my experience.

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. I was up there last weekend and either got a hit or hooked a fish on literally every third cast using a silver 1/4 ounce Kastmaster. The wind was screaming too hard to use anything else. Fished the west end of the south boat ramp from about 4:30 - close. The fish were all rainbows from 14" - 21". Good times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'll also say kastmaster. go with light - medium tackle (5'6 - 7', 4 - 10lb line) with 7 to 10.5g for the weight of the lure. make sure your rod is flexible. you don't want a stiff one because it won't cast. and make sure to match # with your equipment. if you have too heavy of a lure on a light tackle, the line will snap. on the other hand if you have light lure on a heavy tackle, the sheer weight of the line will prevent lure from casting desired distance. i'll not reveal what colors work. they are my secret. but keep in mind, in murkier water use darker lure with distinct colors. on the other hand use lighter colored (white/chrome based) lure for clear water. have fun and good luck.

also try dardevles. they are kinda tricky to work with. you got to be creative with your wrist-popping motion. i also like this thing called z-ray. very slow retrieve. but can't cast far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
buglebass said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.  I was up there last weekend and either got a hit or hooked a fish on literally every third cast using a silver 1/4 ounce Kastmaster.  The wind was screaming too hard to use anything else.  Fished the west end of the south boat ramp from about 4:30 - close.  The fish were all rainbows from 14" - 21".  Good times.
kastmaster will hit any mountain reservoirs at this time (right after ice off). works great for wary browns too. i caught couple of around 20inchers and several 15in + at georgetown last couple of sundays. at ice off i'll hit clear lake. will visit granby soon. have pix, have to develop them until i get a new cam. will post at the end of month after couple more sundays fishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts