Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have searched for a quality SPINCAST reel, unless I have missed something, will know that there are slender pickings for fishermen.

Zebco, of course, offers some low-end products. I confess that I don't have a high opinion of Zebco's products. They do have a $49.00 model, but as I recall, it only holds 10# test line. Many manufacturers offer ultra light spincast reels. I think only Abu-Garcia offers a heavier model, one that would hold a heavier line than 10# but not by much. We've encountered some casting problems with the Abu Garcia using lures heavier than 3/4 oz.

Do you suppose anyone will ever offer a high quality spincast reel of any size?

Does anyone know why Spinning and Baitcasting reels so thoroughly dominate the market?

Baitcasting reels are rock solid, when made well. I like my Daiwa spinning reel because the DRAG is like, " racing quality " if you get my drift. For me, the quality of DRAG mechanism is critical in choosing a reel. If the drag is not of good quality, I wouldn't pick the reel.

What would be really neat for me, would be to actually tour some reel factories, and get a good basic grounding in reel technology. I really don't know all that much. Most manufactuers boast of their Ball Bearings, but I don't know where their ball bearings are on their reel. I know for me, most of mine are in my head. ;D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, it is slim. I'm wondering if maybe someone knows of a link, something on the web, a well-illustrated *How-It-Works* coverage of reels & reel technology.

Ken, I'm wondering if Spincast Reel technology, part for part, is maybe just more costly to produce when compared to the simplicity and functionality of a Spinning reel?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I know I'm going to be boo'd and hiss'd but I use to love the Rhino 33's zebco made they were a heavy spincast reel I probably owned 6 of them and never had a problem. I dont think they make them anymore, or if they do they arent called rhino. I mostly used them on ugly sticks for catfishing.

Here is a kewl reel site I have bookmarked for some reason or another, dont think its the info you wanted bu:
http://www.jlreelservice.com/techtips.asp

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
thats a good reel ePiC thats what my kids fish with and all i have to do is oil them and put new string in them every year
the ones we have are as old as my oldest son he just turned 10 and well the reels just turned 10 too

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
got to love ebay!! :D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts