Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to chase two of the fish on my list for the season on Saturday (10 lb Rainbow and Pike larger than 36") so I headed up to Spinney with Anglerwannabe to try and make it happen. We arrived around 8:45 after setting up camp at a friends cabin and proceeded to prep his trolling motor powered pontoon and my kayak while watching tons of people roll in and launch into the windy waters (many of whom didn't last very long on the water).

After a minor set-back of having two missing screws on my rudder to replace we got on the water at around 9:40. Wind was gusting pretty good; creating some small white caps and water temp was around 46 (Perfect conditions for the die-hards that we are).

Within 25 yards of the ramp I was into my first fish. Not a ten pounder, but a solid 20" bow. I continued trolling up and down the north ramp shoreline in about 20 FOW and was kept busy for the next three hours catching and releasing rainbows between 19" and 23". Wind, whitecaps and cold where not going to ruin my last chance for my goal. Then I hooked up with a beast that pulled like a mule and made long runs down, around and under my yak. I thought to myself this must be my ten pound bow. After a 10 minute battle I finally got the beast coming up to the surface and much to my delight and surprise it was my pike of a lifetime. He came to the next without a struggle (first clue) so I attempted to put this monster in my net (first big mistake). He wasn't going to fit for sure and wasn't happy about me trying to make him fit. He bolted for the bottom again. Luckily I didn't lose him on that run. I worked him back up to the surface for another try and got about a third of him in the net and had my hand on him trying to hoist him overboard (last mistake and the most costly). He flipped out and flung my lure, tail-splashed me and headed off to haunt my dreams for another season. I will say he was well over 40" and weighed more than the 15 pounder I landed catfishing a few years back, but can't verify anything:( other than I will catch another and land it with pictures someday soon:thumb:

Never having tried to land a big pike by myself taught me a few lessons.

One: have a bigger net or learn to grab them like the pros do.
Two: always have my go-pro running. I didn't at the time, but I had plenty of witnesses watching the "rookie" in the kayak trying to land a huge pike without a clue on how to do so.

As my partner finally got close enough to see my ****-eating grin he chuckled and said at least you got him on film right??????

Oh well, at least I got to see and touch my big pike....

Now for the climax of a great day.... Two rainbows on at the same time.

Here's the video to prove I don't always tell fish tails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxOroKg5NA

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Thanks for posting the video.

What type of glove are you wearing that you don't have to worry about catching a treble hook in your hand when you reach out and grab the fish as you are landing it?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of glove are you wearing that you don't have to worry about catching a treble hook in your hand when you reach out and grab the fish as you are landing it?
They are Seirus. Thumb, forefinger and palm are pretty heavily reinforced. While it isn't something I recommend, I wasn't too worried about catching one barb in the glove. He had the other two stuck in his chompers pretty good. I was more worried about the one thrashing in the net sticking me. Just to clarify; I normally don't try that method with trout. It was more of a necessity thing with my other hand and net already being occupied.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Those plastic lip grippers work better than an undersized net, in tight quarters. At least you got to see the pike. It will make the wait thru 5 months of winter that much more agonizing. Lol

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At least you got to see the pike. It will make the wait thru 5 months of winter that much more agonizing. Lol
More upset that I didn't have the GoPro running. I have four freaking batteries. Not sure what I was thinking that morning. Too excited to fish I guess.... But, at least I have a great memory of what happened to think about when I'm too old to actually fish.

Sometimes you can have a great time trying to land a big one and failing. It will make the next big one that much more rewarding. I've lost many a big fish before, but that only makes me more determined to land the next one. Its all part of the adventures of fishing to me.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Great work...

Go loook at these (Frabill power stow) at bass pro/cabelas a little pricey but the handle slides up into the net hoop and the it folds in half...really compact and easy to deploy...read the reviews on the bass pro site...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Handling big fish in a kayak seems crazy!
Kayak fishing has it's challenges for sure, but normally I don't have to deal with two fish at once. My biggest concern on the double hook-up was trying to get both fish back quickly and safely. What isn't shown on the video is the tangled mess I ended up with having both lures in the net after releasing the fish.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Nice twins........sucks losing the pike, but bad things happen to people who listen to nickleback

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but bad things happen to people who listen to nickleback
LMFAO-I had to remember there are "older people" and youngsters on here so I picked something not too hard to stomach while watching the video. Listening to me cuss wouldn't have been appropriate for the masses either.

My taste in music is way different than most would think when they first meet me. Anything but elevator music baby!!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
More upset that I didn't have the GoPro running. I have four freaking batteries. Not sure what I was thinking that morning. Too excited to fish I guess.... But, at least I have a great memory of what happened to think about when I'm too old to actually fish.
i think the gopro is cursed. i leave mine in the bag most times. i feel like when i put it on the pole and record the whole day it makes for less bites ;) maybe im just butt hurt from loosing a nice laker screwing around with the gopro. although getting a fight video from bite to release is pretty sweet. i also have like 4 batteries. or i did. i dropped on in the drink swapping batteries off side of yak duohh. another went through the washer. oopps. i think the washer battery still worked for quite a while.

either way thats a sweet video!

i need to start editing some videos. i cant believe you can cast in those gloves with a bait caster. i bought a lindy pike glove for ice but havent lunked up yet to use it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sucks that you didn't get any pics or video of the giant pike! but nice work landing the 2 trout. Tack on another vote for the grippers, i have a different kind than the ones Oyey mentioned but they make a huge difference when handling fish on my kayak...much easier to get out of the net and handle the fish for pictures

1 - 20 of 20 Posts