Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd do a little duck hunting down on 11 mile and than fish Spinney in the afternoon. For the duck part of it really didn't see much in the way of ducks all weekend I imagine this storm would push them today. A buddy and I decided to try our hand at pike fishing. So we headed over in the coves on the far side of the lake. Threw normal stuff you'd throw at pike seemed they liked buck tail spinners size 5 and 5 of diamonds spoons i'm not a spin fisherman so it wasn't the biggest spoon they make and it wasn't the smallest either. I'd say between the 2 lures we landed between 25-40 pike. ranging from 10" up to one that measured 32" Plus i can't tell you how many follows we had.

I was lucky enough to meet the guy that owns Spinney evidently he's a duck hunter that hunts one of those back coves. As me and my buddy fished the other side of the cove and he made sure to let us know that was his spot. Just some friendly advice if he happens to read this post. I know it seems like parking in the parking lot and walking down the hill and setting up near the outhouse is a great spot but actually do a little work and walk back to the end of the cove where the water is a foto deep and the ducks feed you may have better luck and less likely to have guys fishing in front of you all day.

All in all if you want to catch pike all day Spinney is pretty good right now and we did manage to land 3 decent trout as well so you never know....

Fish

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The guy who owns Spinney?

There seems to be alot of small pike in Spinney and 11-MIle this year. They must of got off a good spawn with the higher water levels?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also fished Spinney on the 7th, had a good day caught around 10 fish and should have had twice that many if I would have hooked half the strikes. Probably had around 30 hits all day on the far side, stripping wolleybuggers on one rod and suspending calibetis and leech or bugger pattern on the other. Most were caught on the suspended rig. I also tried for pike for about an hour and had 5 pike between 20 to 30" inches follow my rapala in but only caught one 25 incher. By the way Spinney I think is owned by a city not a person.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I was lucky enough to meet the guy that owns Spinney evidently he's a duck hunter that hunts one of those back coves. As me and my buddy fished the other side of the cove and he made sure to let us know that was his spot.
I think he was being sarcastic...that the guy defending the bay acted like he owned the reservoir...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also went to Spinney on the 8th. Caught about a 20" trout a soon as
we left the boat ramp with a z-ray. Also caught a few trout and pike
just outside the entrance to Buffalo Bay using brown trout tazmanians.
I had a huge hit that broke me off along the dam. We left at 10:30 to
beat the incoming weather. I didn't see anyone fishing by the boat ramp
that caught anything.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hey flyfish are u talking about that cove right after u go over the dam i had pretty good luck there about a month ago if the pike are biting that good i wouldnt mind going back

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Catfish

We didn't fish the cove right next to the dam. But we fished the next 2 coves. You can drive to the first cove and evidently its a prime spot to set up your decoy spread. The next cove would be a hike it looked like. I hooked most of the pike on the far side of the first cove throwing in the weeds.

Fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts