Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished at Spinney the whole day.. Fished by the Homestake inlet and Buffalo Cove.
Caught somewhere around 40 fish... Sizes ranged from 12"-24", all rainbows. Didn't hang a Brown or Pike. AM early was best with the flyrod... Egg with a PT dropper. Then the wind died and so did the fishing for a while. Switched to tube jigs later and pummeled them. Later in the afternoon I did really well on spoons and spinners. Saw quite a few keeper fish caught (some kept). I released all mine... Of the 5 fish I caught over 20", 4 of them were big males that were very dark with soft flesh. Not like a hard silver torpedo from 11-mile which are much better eating. I did get one female over the 20" mark, but she was so full of eggs, I didn't have the heart to harvest her. I caught one big male rainbow with a pushed in face... It was really weird, looked like a bulldog.. I realesed him then later on a guy in float tube out from me caught the same exact fish!!! He released him too!!

All in All, it was a great opener. I wish the wind would have been a little milder during the afternoon hours. It made fishing with a flyrod quite difficult if you were on the south side of the lake.. Next time I go, I'm bringing the float tube.

BTW - No DOW guys asked to smell or taste my plastic baits!!!

Tim-COS

·
Registered
98 Posts
I fished spinney on wednesday also, from sunup till sundown. It sounds like I was fishing the same area as TIM at the Homestake inlet, I caught about 15 fish all on hares ears and red san juan worms. I thought I overheard someone mention the fish with the smashed in face. Tim were you one of the guys wading out from the mouth of the canal. I'm the black dude that was fishing on the opposite side of the canal on the rocks. All the fish I caught were males except one. Biggest one was about 20. I had limited success in the morning, but around four oclock till dark they really turned on. I'll try and post a couple of pic's later...I was by myself and too busy fishing so I only took 2 pictures.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes!! I was one of those guys - Dude in the camo waders drinking brewskis!! I saw you over on the other side! It looked like many of the folks on the bank over there were getting fish... Next time you go, If you want - try driving around to that parking area on the other side of the inlet. Wade out as far as you can and fish with a strike indicator on that shelf that leads into the narrows. Lots of fish stack up right there... I saw some huge ones swimming right by me! But it sounds like you got into some good ones too... It's a timing thing. As more fish congregate to spawn, the area you were at is probably better. As spawning tapers off, the point might be the place to go. Although I'm waiting for the midge hatch in Buffalo Cove in about a month!! Yowza!

Tim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah... It was a pretty good day, I think next time I'll try your suggestion, I didn't start getting them untill late evening...It looked liked the guys wading and the two guys in the pontoon boats were hammerin all day...Next THURSDAY is my next window...I'll be there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts