Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got one of my boat motors working and headed for Spinney.Started fishing around 7:30am and had my first fish within 5 minutes.I was using a pink ;)taz devil and a floating rainbow rapala.Caught around 10 fish in the next 4 hours,1 brown and the rest bows.The lake was like glass all morning.The temp was between 44deg and 46deg.The motor i have idles fast so I was running about 2.4 to 2.6 mph,I think if I could have kept it under 2mph i would have caught more fish :-\.I have fished Spinney quite a bit and the average fish today was bigger than in the past,most 17"-19".Great day

M

·
0 Posts
I REALLY like that second pic (though I have to admit the trout is nice in the first one). I don't think I've EVER seen the lake that calm and that empty. You must have had a really peaceful time out there. I'm jealous!

L

·
0 Posts
Cool, I'm taking my oldest daughter on Sunday. She should catch a lunker and I'll catch a minnow like usual (Hmmm, I wonder if dad does that on purpose  ;) ;) ).

I agree with the average size being bigger now compared to the last couple 2 or 3 years.  

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left at noon.I didn't get a hit for the last hour so I decided to call it a day.I usually leave around 11 or 12 anyway because of the wind.I'll be back soon though!

lyn

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congrats on both the success and gorgeous conditions. It must have been one of those days where the stars were aligned quite nicely for you, well done! Just curious, when you were trolling, were you using planer boards, lead core line or long lining them back behind the boat? I've never been up to Spinney but am looking to get out there with my kids when they are on break. You know, get em' into some decent action with better than average sized fish, in an attempt to get them as hooked on fising as their old man is. Well, maybe not as hooked (that might not be possible) but at least so they enjoy it more by having some good action. Take care.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FishinBud,I just long line them behind me.I usually cast them out a ways and pull off a couple more strips the length of the rod.Its definately a good place to take someone to catch a bigger than average fish,and always a shot at a trophy.This time of the year I stay close to shore while trolling,and a lot of my fish came off of points,on the south side of the lake.Until this site,this is about the only method I used(and have been fairly successful)but last year I started to use leadcore with good results,and this year I am going to try bottom bouncers,and maybe planer boards.Always something new to learn.Last year in mid May the fishing at Spinney was awsome(20-30 fish in 6 hours).It should only get better.

lyn

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Fishnbud-
If you've never fished Spinney don't expect that calm water. It can get quite windy really fast. I've seen belly boaters pushed across the lake and had to walk around to get back.
Good luck to you.
By the way nice fish lynmack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts