Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the morning over in Buffalo Cove in the float tube. Landed a big fat 22" Brown on a tube jig to start the day. Caught two smaller rainbows, two small northerns, then whammo! Had a really big fish hit and cruise around deep until I could coax him up to the surface. Saw the fish from a distance and it looked at first like a nice northern.. I was like "COOL", then as the fish approached I had to do a double take!! It was a huge Rainbow!! Of course the fish threw the hook!!! It was a monster!! Maybe 28-30" or so!! Had some lunch and hit the other side of the lake. Many-Many nice rainbows on black woolie's... All in All, a great day of fishing!! It was COLD right away in the morning.. My car temp indicator said 25 degrees!

Also, there is a PILE of ducks on that lake!! Might have to do a cast and blast!!

Better get up there while the going is GOOD!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sounds like a great time... Have to sneak time into Spinney before they close for the winter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great report!! I'm leaving sunny Flori-duh in the morning, hopefully I'll be at Spinney early Thursday morning. I'm not real familiar with the lake, I've been there 3 times with 1 out of three trips fairly successful. It's easy fishing though, (When the winds not at 30) so I enjoy it.
I guess I'll have to stop at the General Store and ask where Buffalo Cove is.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buffalo Cove is all the way around on the South side of the lake... Drive across the dam, take a left like you are going down to the river, but then hang a right. It will swing you around, over the homestake canal. Then take another left just before you get to the parking lot by where homestake runs into the lake. It will bring you to the farthest parking lot and right below you is Buffalo cove.

I was fishing out at the mouth of it in deeper water, (fewer fish, but a chance at a real monster) I should have concentrated more on the weedy areas in the back of the bay. Put a strike indicator about 4 or 5 feet above a small black wooly bugger with a BB split. Use a substantial leader of 4-6 lb. test and wade the shallows casting to the lanes between the weeds. Slowly pull or jerk the wooly back in...

I used this method up in the headwaters of the lake and the fish are in there like crazy!! I caught tons of them in as little a 18" of water... It's a long walk though, so Buffalo might be a good area with shallow weeds where you don't have to walk a mile and a half!!

Thursday you should almost have the lake to yourself!!

Tim

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if your wading buff in the cove that would be fishing W.E. style

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Lazarus said:
How has the pike fishing been this year at the spin?
ive heard just some small skinny fish the effort by dow to thin them out may have worked

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I am going to wait until the middle of Oct. The big girls should be hungry then. Just tie on a rootbeer colored tube and hang on. A buddy of mine caught a 13 pound brown on a tube a couple of years ago it was a great fish!!!!! :eek:

·
Banned
26 Posts
roadkill said:
Lazarus said:
How has the pike fishing been this year at the spin?
ive heard just some small skinny fish the effort by dow to thin them out may have worked
Leave the big ones though. Keep the unhealthy skinny ones. Balance could be had for both trout and pike, as is at Stagecoach and 11 - Mile.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i wont cry if the pike go by the way side ill be happy chasing tigers might even catch 1 some day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts