Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the lake around 9:00. Threw out tube jigs, kastys, and daredevils for about 30 minutes. My dad had one hook up, but it got off. I had one small northern follow in a white tube, but he didn't take it. Since we were really there to fly fish, we went down to the river. Isn't that called the dreeam stream? We started with tricos, because they were flying all over the place. Fish were feeding on the surface all over, but none would take a trico. My dad threw on a BWO and got a very healthy, big rainbow. I'll update this post with a picture tomorrow. I was casting and as I went into a backcast, a tiny brown flew out of the water. I caught this 3 incher and one other that looked like a cut, but I don't know if they arfe in there. If it wasn't a cut, it was a rinbow, but it had orange under its gills. My dad then got another big rainbow and a medium sized rainbow. I was tired of fly fishing, so I took his car back up to the lake. I found a yellow daredevil with red diamonds, and used it for fun. I had two trout follow me in, but they didn't bite. Big fish were coming out of the water all over the place, but nothing like me besides the two tiny river trout.

I want to go back up to the lake with my bass boat, but I'll be lucky if the day is as calm as today, there was no wind.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i imagine cutts could be in there as the dow claims 11 mile to have cutts and if it looked like a rainbow witha little orange under the throat it could have been a cuttbow. a windless day at spinney is a special treat

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is the pic of one of the nice ones my dad got

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this was down in the stream? good looking fish!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There are cutbows in there, may have been what you got. Looks like a good day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
All the fish stocked in Spinney within the last 4 years are cuttbows. Very few pure rainbows and no pure cutts, about 90 percent of the rainbows cutt mix have slits. There's also browns and a few splake.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think he was talking about the stream below the dam so anything in 11 mile could come up thru there

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not in spinney but in the river bellow spinney

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the dow claims there are cutts in 11 mile along with rainbows and cuttbow hybrids so based on that there could be some cutts in the stream below spinney though i have never seen one to say for sure

·
Registered
280 Posts
The platte has plenty of cutts because they do stock cutts in 11 mile. But most of the fish stocked in those lakes are the cross breed bows. I've caught a lot of pure snake river cutts at 11 mile and on the South Platte. The reason they are not stocked in Spinney is because of the new stocking program, fish are now raised up to 12 inches and they only raise cuttbows up to this size.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think with spinney being managed as a trophy fishery they are stocking the hybrids as they seam to grow faster so the dow gets more bang for the buck

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thankseveryone, the fish was caught in the river below spinney just to clear up any confusion

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice fish,it looks like a Snake River Cutt.Wow,I thought those were very educated fish in the dream stream and would never touch hardware,learn somethin every day.It looks like its gettin to be time to start headin down there again!

lyn

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
looks more on the line of a cutt but deffinatly not a strieght rainbow what time of year was that, recent? could still be a cutt bow hard to say

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Lynmack is right...it is a Snake River Cutthroat...the DOW used to stock a ton of them in Spinney/Eleven mile...I know I caught a bunch of them in the last 15 years out of there...John and the Delanneys used to get a bunch...I dont know if they continue to stock them...I know that the Rainbows are taking over on the Snake River and Idaho and they are worried about them going the way of the dinosaurs...so maybe it is tougher to get their hands on them...

I thought those were very educated fish in the dream stream and would never touch hardware
...I have caught a ton of them on flies...but the Spinney/John/Delanney Buttes ones were always suckers for gold lures...panthers and quarter ounce gold kastys...fished with what I call the Spinney rip...cast...count it down to the depth you want...and rip the pole up 1.5 feet to 2 feet...let it flutter back down and rip again...they mug it on the drop...

Here are some links to Idaho pics of Snake River Cutthroats...

http://www.snakerivercutthroats.com/newsletter-spring2000.htm

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=4787&thecat=502

http://turcktarantula.com/articles/cutthroat_country.htm

http://bruningflyfishing.com/fishing/Idaho Trout.htm

By the way wonmore...awesome fish...and welcome!

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
DOW has been stocking fingerlings in the dream stream hoping to get a nice run upriver for spawning.The theory is the little fish will head down to 11-mile and grow large then return to the river to spawn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts