Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy and I took his 1990-something Toyota dolphin to eleven mile to do some camping and fish the reservoirs. There was a giant midge hatch going on the three days we were at the mile/spinney. It was the most incredible Hatch I've ever seen. The amount of insect biomass in the air and covering everything around us was mind boggling. Even when I was in the middle of the res, there was a deep, loud buzz coming from the shoreline. Both reservoirs had tons of surface action with all the bugs. We fished eleven mile as soon as we arrived to set up camp and at night but our daytime fishing was pretty much just done at
Spinney. Caught some small trout and a couple pike at eleven mile. Even got some trout up top. Once we got to spinney, though, I forgot all about eleven mile. For starters it was my first time float tubing spinney. Plus the trout action was consistent the entire time. Lots of nice fish. Nothing under four pounds. All the trout were caught on nymphs of some kind. Got some pike at spinney, too.(caught pike on the fly and spinning gear.most of the pike were caught on tiny chironomids under an
indicator) My phone died the first day so I only have a pic of the smallest pike and a decent cutbow. I can't wait to get back.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That hatch was Chironomids. I've seen it 5 times as heavy as it been this year. It is incredible. I'm pretty sure I ate a couple the last time I was there carrying my tube down to the water..

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
If that bow is anywhere near 4lbs I'm a snake lover-

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
It's really hard to catch anything when the bugs are that thick! :eek: It's not pleasant -- most people who know any better stay away during that time. Fish will get hungry again when it's over. :) Glad you did well up there! :thumb:

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
A fly and bubble will kill them at 11-mile.

Full bubble so its retrieved just under the surface-

·
Registered
53 Posts
That hatch was Chironomids. I've seen it 5 times as heavy as it been this year. It is incredible. I'm pretty sure I ate a couple the last time I was there carrying my tube down to the water..

Chironomid is another word for Midge - one and the same.

Yeah, seen some epic ones out there too, 6 inch thick mats of shucks along the shoreline, and every blade of grass just covered with them.

Glad you had a great day out there !

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If that bow is anywhere near 4lbs I'm a snake lover-
Haha. It's funny you say that cuz that cutbow in the pic weighed in at 3.8 on my buddy's digital rapala scale. It was also the first and smallest trout that was caught. My phone died on the first day so these are the only two pics I have. It could be off I guess but Pictures can be deceiving sometimes. I'm also nearly 6'5" so keep that in mind when comparing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sounds like a good day!

...don't listen to Mary Ann, she was overrated anyway

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Why is it when anyone gets called out for over estimating their fish they become 6'5" , wear a size 16 boot and have hands the size of pizza's :biggrin1: j/k nice fish sounds like a good trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts