Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a great week of fishing up at Spinney last week....we went up on Monday.....grandson landed a 21" rainbow on Taz......fish were in super shallow......6-8 ft in the north end........he did a great job getting it to the net at nine years old......but we worked for them 4.5 hours casting and trolling before fish on.....went back on Tuesday and we trolled about 3 hours and he got an 18.5 rainbow to the boat...same area and lure, released to swim another day. Wind blew us off the lake (as usual) about 1230 so I fished the Middle fork of South Platte and picked up a couple small browns on a bead head wooly bugger. Wed was tough wife got one 18" pike on tube jig...storms came in so I fished the platte later in the day and got a couple 10" rainbows on bead head prince nymphs. Thursday no fish on Spinney but got a couple more small rainbows on the platte. Friday was a great day.....daughter caught her first pike 21" on a #5 silver mepp dressed and I got a 22" rainbow on a yellow jerk bait...back to the water for him.....I got a 16" pike on same lure.......gave the rod and lure to grandson and about 30 min later he landed a 23" 5.5 lb rainbow.......fish and fight of the week. Fish are really shallow and when they hit are super aggressive. A great time and way for him to finish his summer vacation. All in all we spent about 20 hours fishing Spinney, slow but a lot of fun....BTW wife lost 3 rainbows 20+ and she had one super pike follow her lure to the boat. She landed a 32" last year and she said this one was way bigger.....would have liked to see her tie into that

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
How do you fish it?
With a boat, casting, trolling, fly fishing, shallow, deep, you name it. Buddy's with me catch fish, just never me. Oh, once in awhile I land one or two, but Spinney just hates me.

I'll take 11 Mile anytime, catch lots of fish there consistently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always head to Spinney because I never catch fish at 11 mile LOL....there ya go. Wife did ok at 11 mile, but I have better luck at SP. Still looking for the big pike this year so far 21" was the biggest ...maybe later this month or in Sept. they'll get active.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow im going to spinney this weekend for the first time.... Now im nervous cause i dnt want to get skunked. But not knowing if youll get bit is have the fun so it should be fun nontheless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts