Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the Res around 2 p.m. and fished til about 7:30 p.m. Not too many people because the wind was kickin all day, but I was determined to stay. Good thing I did, turned out to be the best day for me on this lake. As soon as we launched we drifted along the north shore and caught 6 hammerhandles, all under 18 inches. Then we decided to troll for trout with cowbells, bingo, nabbed two rainbows 18 and 19 inches. Then by the dam we I caught my very first Brown trout on a cowbell and wedding ring???????? He was only 14 inches but what a beautiful fish. Finally we were about to head in and call it a day when my friend hooked into a 26 inch pike in the weeds. That was pretty cool. Good size pike with nice big teeth. when I get the photo's developed I will post them. All in all, a great trip. O bye the way for all you pike haters. I let every single pike go so that they may get fat off all them trout,

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the pike were healthy. The 26 incher was fat and very nice colored. Awesome fish. I will get the photo's so you can see.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
O bye the way for all you pike haters.  I let every single pike go so that they may get fat off all them trout, 
LoL. Right on bro!!!!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I killed all the small skinny snakes I caught for two years, just like the DOW asked! THat doesn't make me a Pike hater! Just the oppisite! The whole fishery was getting ready to collapse and something had to be done. It's actually the only decision the DOW has made up there that I agree with!!!

I hate the fact they have lumped the Pike at 11-Mile into the same regs as Spinney. Trout and pike have always coexisted at 11-Mile. They are two totally different fisheries.

Anyway, good to hear the midsized fish have some weight to them! I wonder what they are eating?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure, I have read that shrimp is feed in to the lake. But I imagine that they eat trout and the huge crawdads that are in Spinney. I like to catch pike very much that is why I keep zero. Even if they are small, you are still catching something, rather than going home skunked.

F

·
0 Posts
are you getting any on topwaters ....I just made a couple topwater lures and want to catch some pike on them

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, inline spinners like roostertails and mepps and spoons like daredevils and little cleos. All the pike came out of the weeds in about 10 feet of water.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Those pike are eating a lot of crawdads, I pulled up a huge lump of grass with my anchor and noticed a few swimming away. I also think the 25 plus inch pike are ambushing some stockers when they get a chance. There so many in there I doubt it would be difficult. Which wouldn't be a bad thing there's so many stockers there eating all the bugs and the fish don't seem to growing as fast.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Oats said:
Those pike are eating a lot of crawdads, I pulled up a huge lump of grass with my anchor and noticed a few swimming away. I also think the 25 plus inch pike are ambushing some stockers when they get a chance. There so many in there I doubt it would be difficult. Which wouldn't be a bad thing there's so many stockers there eating all the bugs and the fish don't seem to growing as fast.
You are probably right about the Crawdads. I just assumed the medium sized fish would have a hard time catching and eating 15" stockers?

You know another thing that may be happening is they are eating small Pike?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are alot of tiny pike in there. I mean under 15 inches. However, every now again a huge fish is pulled out. The smaller pike act alot like bass, in that, they stay in cover and ambush there prey when they swim by. Fisher3o3 if you wanna try for a pike at spinney. Fish around the North boat ramp from shore and throw a #5 black fury as far you can and real in slowly. You want to find weedbeds, cause that is where they are. Good luck buddy

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
This fall when the lake turns over. Concentrate along the rocks at the dam. For some reason Pike like rock in the fall? Throw spinnerbaits or large soft plastics in about eight feet of water parallel to the dam. The same thing happens over at 11-Mile in the fall?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you Neal totally. Last year I fished the Spinney pike tourney. The guy who won the tourney fished the dam all day. He used soft plastic carolina rigged in about 20 feet of water and was just slaying them. Small ones, but he won with them. The guy was in a 20 foot Ranger boat that had MADMAN written all over it. Everyone else was fishing the shallows. Why were they by the dam?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Not sure why? But they are!

I fish the cup there at the SE corner of the dam and eastern shoreline. That half of the dam gets hammered all day by the wind. A mudline develops usually by about 2:00 PM and the trout show up in huge numbers. Maybe that is why the pike set up shop there? I think the crawfish also molt their shells one last time before winter and that could also attract them? The weed beds have fallen apart by then and don't give Pike the kind of cover to hide in as in the spring?

The pattern is even stronger at 11-Mile! My best days ice fishing for Pike have been late in the ice season on rock points leading to the entrance of the spawning bays and the rock fingers that protrude off the islands.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Thats why I like this site so much, people share information and help each other!!! There are alot of good anglers here that are very helpfull!

Come fall I will be up at Spinney almost every weekend, I would be glad to show you some good spots! I tend to fish warm water fish in the summer, then switch to trout and Pike in the fall and winter. I have been fishing South Park for 20 years so thats where I tend to wind up.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
A few questions hopefully someone can answer ?

Is there a town nearby (w/ hospital) ? My wife suggested camping (in Denver area mid Aug.) We have a newborn, and I didn't think camping would be a possability. Since she suggested it though ::), I was thinking 11 mile. She said that's fine as long as it's not too secluded and there's a hospital nearby.

How late in the season is the weather and Pike fishing good till?

Thanks
                                                                                     James

P.S.  Neal,  If I get the green light could I p.m. you for some Pike advice ?  Oh, Methiolate Man --- Great report! Thanks!                          

1 - 20 of 24 Posts