Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its coming to be that time of year when the DOW releases all of us crazed fisherman into spinney mountain. 16" of ice still covers the water, but the air temperature reached almost 50+deg yesterday. Only a few more weeks!
So, how many other people will be crowding in line for their shot at a real trophy trout? :eek:
Or do those oversized crowds bother everyone?
What do we do with one of our best and over used resources in Colorado?

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO Spinney hasn't been worth the crowds for about 5 years now. When full give me Antero any day.

I'll wait for the crowds to go away then hit Spinney a couple of token times to say I did. Along with a Pike tourney for a change of pace.

I know my buddies are waiting right along with you though. Have a great time and post some fun stories :).

Walt

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Actually Spinney is on it's way back! I went four times in October and November and killed em ;D I caught about a dozen fish a day between 19-24". They were all extremely fat and healthy also! Also lost the largest trout I have ever hooked there on one of those trips. It was a double digit Brown that hit a Shad Rap.

I will probably wait and go during the week when the crowds have thinned out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes indeed, Spinney is back!!! Awesome year last year for hogs. Also there are fewer pike. The pike have basically started eating themselves and there are not as many. The DOW then started stocking Spinney in late fall, when the pike's metabolism was way down. The DOW has made some great adjustements at managing this place. It is probably back to being the best trout stillwater in the state. And this year, Spinney could fish similar to the fishing at Antero before they drained it.

Oh wait, did I just say all that? Nevermind Spinney sucks, you don't wan't to go there, only small fish! :p

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Stillwater! Spinney is a hog factory! It is the perfect breeding ground for large trout!

It is shallow in a lot of places just like Antero, so it has huge expanses of weedbeds full of shrimp, snails, damselflies and leechs. Thats why the fish grow so quickly!

Unlike Antero it also has deep water, which keeps it from winterkilling! But most importantly it has the Pike! The Pike keep the suckers from over running the place like they do at Antero. Before Antero was drained Suckers made up 90% of the biomass! Like you said, now that they stock trout in the fall and at 15" Spinney is recovering quite nicely ;D

Where else on the eastern slope can you catch 3-6 lb trout all day, with a legit shot at a 10lber at any time?

Of course the tradeoff is that the Pike have been greatly reduced in numbers, but the lake is much healthier now. I do miss keeping a couple of 26-28" Pike each time for dinner! But with all those small pike now starved out, the Pike population is much more healthy! Before they stopped stocking small trout the DOW estimated there were 10,000 Pike in that 2500 acre lake :p There are still lots of big toads in there!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yeah, Spinney is no good. Don't go there. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is good to see the energy level so high. Yes, the crowds on opening day are a complete nightmare. But to have the chance to start the fishing year off with a true trophy makes it so worth it. It would be nice if there was a organization process to spread out the fishing pressure, but it would have to be up to crazed fisherman like us to figure something out. DOW does not care, if they are making money then who cares?
Last year I did not have the ability to make opening day, I was two weeks late. The lake was destroyed. The group I was in spent a good part of the time picking up trash and debris left by the previous open day fisherman. That sucks. :'( But I do all I can to keep things up to par. So on that note, make sure you do the duty to not let people destroy our fishing spots!!!!!

P.S. I will see all of you in line as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Spinney is as good if not better than it ever has been. I caught more 23 to 24" fish last season than ever with a few over 25 inches. The pike are much tougher to come by now but if the trout action keeps up its well worth it. Plus you can't really fish pike out of a lake especially with the reproduction rate they have at those South Park lakes, they could still show up strong again. 

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Glad to hear your guys' lake is coming back! Personally, if I lived on the east slope, I definitely wouldn't fish opening day. Crowds are not my thing. Does DOW limit the number of people that can fish spinney on opening day?

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
You can walk away from the crowds...either the backside of the reservoir or walk the dam...people are basically lazy...it is a lot better than people are depicting...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I am going to get a couple of those Salmo Crankbaits that look like small Pike and see if they work?

Anyone who thinks the Pike are gone, should just wade the NW flats by the Heron Rookery in May. They are very difficult to catch but there are lots of big toads just sunning themselves in shallow water :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts