Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go to Spinney to fly fish sometime soon but im trying to find out when the best time to go is. I dont live in Colorado but i grew up there. I joined the Air Force and now im staioned in Clovis, NM so i will have to travel and i want to time it just right. I was thinking maybe in mid september to go when it starts to cool down but, if anyone can think of a better time then please share your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I want to go to Spinney to fly fish sometime soon but im trying to find out when the best time to go is. I dont live in Colorado but i grew up there. I joined the Air Force and now im staioned in Clovis, NM so i will have to travel and i want to time it just right. I was thinking maybe in mid september to go when it starts to cool down but, if anyone can think of a better time then please share your thoughts. Thanks.
I mean....Why? There's a ton of great fly fishing in NM. Fish the San Juan tailwater below Navajo, man.

But if you're insistent upon coming up to Spinney, I'd contact the guide services around the area, or the fly shops in that area.

Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know theres alot of good fishing out here, and believe me i have done my fair share of fishing in these waters, but i loved fishing that area as a kid growing up and I havent done it in years. I also have never tried to fish there with a fly rod.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I know theres alot of good fishing out here, and believe me i have done my fair share of fishing in these waters, but i loved fishing that area as a kid growing up and I havent done it in years. I also have never tried to fish there with a fly rod.
You might try PMing Anteroman (Bill). He fishes Spinney 3 to 4 times a week. He could give you a possible heads up. He doesn't log in much anymore, but you might give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I was thinking maybe in mid september to go when it starts to cool down but, if anyone can think of a better time then please share your thoughts. Thanks.
If you wanna come this year, then yes, closer to Fall should be better than Summer. Antero would be worth taking some shots at around that time of year too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i liked fishing Antero every time i had gone, but i had never been to Spinney.

Also I plan on chasing tiger muskie soon at the end of this month at bluewater lake. For me, coming all that way for trout is worth it for me. Im active duty air force stationed in the desert of new mexico where i have to travel 150 miles to get to bass and 300 for trout. soooo yeah its a long ways but i love colorado fishing so i make it every year as much as i can. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yeah i liked fishing Antero every time i had gone, but i had never been to Spinney.

Also I plan on chasing tiger muskie soon at the end of this month at bluewater lake. For me, coming all that way for trout is worth it for me. Im active duty air force stationed in the desert of new mexico where i have to travel 150 miles to get to bass and 300 for trout. soooo yeah its a long ways but i love colorado fishing so i make it every year as much as i can. :)
i have a spare hobie pro angler kayak if you wanna try one out at spinney.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a spare hobie pro angler kayak if you wanna try one out at spinney.

Thanks lvrider for the offer but I have a float tube that I'm going to use. I will be in Colorado springs next month and when I do head to spinney I'll post to the fishing buddy add to see if any one wants to ride along.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
lol the hobie will make it more fun imo. you can cover more water also.
but since your about the tube..... i have a floattube power attachment. so you can add a trolling motor. if your interested. :)
btw you should do good, everytime i go pike fishing i tend to get a few good bobos in the process at spinney.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol the hobie will make it more fun imo. you can cover more water also.
but since your about the tube..... i have a floattube power attachment. so you can add a trolling motor. if your interested. :)
btw you should do good, everytime i go pike fishing i tend to get a few good bobos in the process at spinney.
Yeah thanks I'll try anything new. I know it's better then kicking my feet all day haha but the area I was told to go is kind of close to the shore so as soon as I get more information I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i take my 18.5 deep v walleye boat within 10 ft of shore when no shore fisherman are present btw. the hobies are the cadillac of kayak imo. and comfy. GL lakes full and the fish love it.
if i am up when you are i'll point you in the right direction. i just ask you kill a trout a day, nasty ol things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dude, if your stationed at Cannon, why not go to Ute or Fort Sumner res and bass fish while killing the time. Also, the drive time from Dorm 555 to Baltimore ave, in Pueblo, is exactly 535 miles, I was there back when the last F-111's were leaving.

I literally just came back from ute lake an hour ago..haha trust me, I use every fishing hole out here a lot..and I caught a couple bass and one decent size wiper that should of gotten to my backing if I would have let it...(trees and bushes to snag in). I lives in 555 aka triple nikle too haha. where did you fish in ute and how was it when you went infidel
?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I used to rent the bass boat from ODR and take that thing all of the way into the back of Ute where the little creek spills in and fish the tree stumps. I also fished directly across from the ramp along the cliffs. if your after trout and fly fishing, make the drive to Eagle nest up past Taos. well worth the trip, plus the river below is fun to fish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i did the same thing with ODR and rented a bass boat for 75$. Yeah i kinda stopped fishing for trout here since theres not alot down here but im sure ill try one day in eagles nest. Did you go during a hatch or where you using nymph streamer patterns?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts