Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headed over to Spinney in the 38 degree weather, overcast and a breeze about 12-15mph. Not one person in any of the parking lots, and not a soul on the lake. While rigging up at the North ramp I kept asking myself what I was doing here, everyone else had the sense to stay home, I'm here so I'll give it an hour. Fished straight out from the ramp and let the Southern wind push me down the shoreline, leech rig out and throwing ammo from the U/L Rocket Launcher.

Fished a bit over an hour w/o a tap, decided to try anchoring and put a bobber rig out, no love. As you know, I fish trout primarily and they were not cooperating. I decided after my 10th or 11th lure change to give it 5 more casts then leave, did I mention it was quite cold and the wind wasn't helping. After the 5th cast I decided to leave and the little fish thing that lives in all fishing folks head said "One more cast to the far left", I chucked it out and about the third twist of the reel handle felt a tap, at first I thought it was a weed but then it started pulling, not a weed. Took about 10 minutes to get it to net and then the fun started, it is not easy to get a 42" fish in a 17X20" net, the snap swivel popped open but he was in the net and I was able to get him on the stringer.

I know most pike folks will probably be angry with me but this one came home and will be enjoyed with several meals.

He weighed 23# and was 42" jumped clear of the water right in front of the toon and somehow stayed hooked up, when your fishing 4# test braid you've got to be lucky and yesterday was my lucky day.
Bill

·
Registered
414 Posts
It`s a day like this that makes up for those that you lost.

Caught a 54" barracuda in Belize on what was nothing more than a bass rod and reel on 12# braid. I was wading and chucking a silver Daredevil just off a reef at 6:30 am in the morning. 45Min later I slid her into shallow water and just stood there shaking. Yep...…….. it made up for ALL fish I ever lost.
Since I literally had to swim out to the reef (50 yds ) I had no camera. But, that religious experience is permanently etched my brain. I swear the eyeball was the size of an orange...…….. and it just kept looking at me. `Guess he wasn`t at the top of the food chain as he suspected. But, after reviving him for a good 15 min or more, he returned to the top.

Nice catch Bro !!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I know most pike folks will probably be angry with me but this one came home and will be enjoyed with several meals.
Why bother telling anyone if you think people will be angry????

23# and 42 inches is a very old fish for sure while congratulations is in order for catching such a beast; I am one that isn't happy he went for dinner. Plenty of hammer handles to keep and thin out the population. Just like keeping a slimer over 7lbs or a big wiper, laker or walleye- large fish aren't bountiful here in Colorado for the same reason. But, to each his own....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Noce pike for sure, can be bad for other species if there are to many big pike, but as i said before, will never criticize a fisherman fishing legally, so enjoy the fried pike. Many need to have wallies for fish fry, but i dont mind a pike myself, i love it if i can find a limit of 5 pounders or so. Very easy to fillet boneless also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slayer,
I’ve got several good pix but damned if I can figure out how to post them? I can email them to any of the other folks who know how to use this system or drop me a note at [email protected] and I’ll send you several.
Bill

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Slayer,

I’ve got several good pix but damned if I can figure out how to post them? I can email them to any of the other folks who know how to use this system or drop me a note at [email protected] and I’ll send you several.

Bill

Pictures are super simple on this forum if you use your mobile device and access the forum through Tapatalk. No third party hosting needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bionic,
I have several in my android phone, I’ll give it a try tomorrow, thanks for that.
Bill

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Just click reply and then click the icon on the bottom that looks like a box with a mountain in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I saw the pics on the Exploder site. Good solid pike there! As far as eating those stinking things, more power to ya!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Nice lookin ESOX !!:thumb:
I'm surprised They let You lay that slimy thing on the dock...>:D
I could turn that 41" beast into 4 or 5 6" Fillets...>:D>:D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Great pike! Bake those fillets skin side down on some tabs of butter (but without the skin). Add some onions and green peppers and some more butter on top. 350 for no more than an hour depending on size and quantity you put in the ceramic dish. The meat will shrink and you can pick the bones out as they will be popping out the top

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Great pike! Bake those fillets skin side down on some tabs of butter (but without the skin). Add some onions and green peppers and some more butter on top. 350 for no more than an hour depending on size and quantity you put in the ceramic dish. The meat will shrink and you can pick the bones out as they will be popping out the top
LOL. Then throw away the pike and eat the peppers and onions-:thumb:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Dumb to kill those big fish... They keep the small pike population under control (it's currently needing that at Spinney). So easy to keep smaller fish. I hope it tastes like ass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts