Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Colorado State Parks website:

Spinney Mountain Reservoir will open for the 2005 season on Wednesday, April 20, 2005. The gates will open one half hour prior to sunrise at approximately 5:53 a.m. Due to low water levels, only hand-carried boats will be allowed on the reservoir at this time. Vehicles will be allowed to line up at the entrance gate after 7:00 p.m. on April 19th. Please remember that only artificial flies and lures are permitted at Spinney and the bag and possession limit and minimum size for trout is 1 fish, 20 inches or longer. There is no bag or possession limit on pike and anglers are encouraged to harvest all of the pike that they catch.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
So how many are going to show up and help me hand carry my 5000 lb pontoon boat down to the lake? Plenty of room for everyone! :p

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would work...I always wanted to get 8 guys together and rent a limo for the day...probably a $100 a person...and show up with the driver pulling up double parking hopping out and handing each of us our fishing pole and lunch from the trunk...and watching the "WTF" looks from the masses...Spinney in style...fish hard and a two hour ride home with beverages and everyone is dropped off at their door...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
That would work...I always wanted to get 8 guys together and rent a limo for the day...probably a $100 a person...and show up with the driver pulling up double parking hopping out and handing each of us our fishing pole and lunch from the trunk...and watching the "WTF" looks from the masses...Spinney in style...fish hard and a two hour ride home with beverages and everyone is dropped off at their door...
you forgot 1 thing

The coors twins to bait the hooks (Koni, Kadyia and our other female anglers I did not forget you, Chippendale dancers to bait yours!)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hey hope those of you who are going do well! CPR!!! Make sure to post the pics too!

·
Banned
487 Posts
ZMan,

Was that the bad spinney park dudes that said to harvest all the pike or was it you? I know they caused the trout to suffer in there some, but that was because they become overpopulated, not because of them simply being present. I know I would release all healthy looking pike if I was to fish there.
If any pike were or ever will be removed from Spinney, they need to be transplanted to other lakes.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ice in the Veins...

I like pike as much as anyone...but they crippled a world class fishing hole Spinney for a number of years...and they got in there from eleven mile...but these Johnny Appleseed bucket stocking fisherman need to leave the stocking to the state...if you are going to put pike in a trout lake...do it with sterile tiger muskies...at least you can control the fish levels...just like the moron who put perch in Blue Mesa...time will tell if perch out compete the kokes for plankton...if they do there is a good chance the lake trout fishery there will crash...that's what I think of the bucketeers that do private and unwanted stocking...leave it to somebody that knows something about it...namely the biologists...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I will be there on Friday!! Armed with 2 spinning rods and my flyrod.. Black woolybugger on the flyrod, Spoon on one rod, tube jig on the other!!!   YEEEHAAA!! Let's gitt'r done!

Not sure if I should bring my float tube or not.... Last year did really well standing right by the boat ramp.

Let us know how you guys do on Weds. and Thursday!!

Tim

·
Registered
296 Posts
try some egg patterns on the fly rod any colors that what did it on the opener last year oh olive green woolys to and dont forget good ol rapalas

T

·
0 Posts
i think a small bragging rights contest should be started for all the fishermen on this site that will hit spinney tomorrow (opening day) to see who does best and thus can be crowned the opening day king or queen - ha ha.
the requirement is a photo, with date stamp in front of the spinney sign so we know its real with all the dead fish caught/kept (tribute to mr. slayerfish)  ;D

i think that would get the smack flowing over the next few days?

i will put my money on slayerfish to come in 1st

·
Registered
118 Posts
You all suck. I have been packed and ready for Spinney for the last week. On Saturday I took my stepfather out to Arvada Res. for some stocker fishing.(he does not know how to fish) After a few trout I started to throw some tubes and BAM, I hooked on to a smallmouth bass, when SLIP...POP, I slipped and fell down. ??? I heard a huge POP sound from my right knee. I was still able to land the bass. I did not really think that I done anything until the next day, I could not move my knee. I am now scheduled for surgery on Thursday morning and I will not be allowed to fish for over a month. I am so SAD :'( so to all who get to go, GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
zman, if we left managing fisheries purely to the state I wouldn't have anywhere to fish over here on the west slope :p (there is only 1 warmwater fishery managed at all by the state over here, highline, and water skiers take that over). Pike aren't usually a very good introduction in developed trout water like spinney, but in midelevation, warmer lakes they belong and our good for the fisheries usually. Examples where they turned nothing fisheries into quality ones are rio blanco, harvey gap, and crawford. Sorry to tangent...just had to give another perspective.
I am curious to see how well you guys do tomorrow at spinney, I would think all of the noise and racket of opening day would put fish down, especially the bigger ones.
Good luck with your healing process pope, my ankle still hurts some from when I sprained it and one of my teeth may need a root canal :-\

·
Banned
487 Posts
The only reason pike harmed spinney is because the population and reproduction got completely out of control. Examples of legitmate trout fisheries where pike and trout thrive alongside each other are Elevenmile, Stagecoach, Taylor, and Williams Fork.
In trout fisheries, the pike limit should be 15. Spinney pike have a right to be there too, they just have to be kept under control.
As far as leaving the DOW to manage fisheries, TFB hit it on the nose. While I do not support bucket biology in most fisheries, the majority of bucket introductions here on the west slope have created wonderful, productive fisheries. In fact, pike have turned Crawford from an almost nothing fishery overrun with stunted perch, to a fishery with lots of nice perch and some jumbos, huge crappie, and solid bass and catfish. The pike helped get rid of all the small fish.
The DOW may do an acceptable job over on the East Slope, but over here they do not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually pike don't have a right to be in there.
They were not intended to be in there when the DOW dammed the S. Platte. They snuck up from 11-mile.
And the other reservoirs (Williams Fork and 11-mile) are a lot bigger and deeper than Spinney, allowing the trout to hide from the pike. In Spinney, it's like a shallow fish bowl, where the pike can feed at will when they want on trout.
The DOW has done a great job by encouraging people to keep ALL pike. We have lot's of great pike fisheries, 11-mile, Williams Fork, Vallecito, Stagecoach. Spinney is the type of lake where trout would do so much better with fewer pike.

KILL THEM PIKE!!!! SLIMY GOOD FOR NOTHING FISH IN SPINNEY! Want pike, go five minutes away to 11-mile where the pike are bigger and fatter anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts