Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try and fish Spinney on opening day. I have never fished spinney before so I figure why not have my first time be opening day.

My question is do you need to get there early. I thought I had heard stories of people camping out in thier cars. Is this true? Can you camp out in the car and is it neccessary?

Also in regards to the fishing.....is it worth it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
It true that a lot of people camp out in their cars and it sure can get cold up their at night. The reason they camp is so they can be the first person to a specific spot. I personally haven't been there opening day since I'm not into all that combat fishing but if you don't mind it then definetly give it a try. There are giant trout in that lake since you can only keep them when they are over 20". Try natural colored tube jigs if you go, they always worked for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Also in regards to the fishing.....is it worth it?
been there a couple times. not a bad lake. better if u got a boat.
worth the drive?? mmmmm yeah if u catch some fish ;)

as for opening day......i too have heard its crazy there.

maybe worth it though.

and make sure you post your report. so all can see  >:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh yeah don't forget about the pike fishing there too. Forgot to mention that earlier. They engcourage you to keep them since they like to eat the stocker trout. Those pike can sure be tasty coming from cold water like that.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A large streamer worked very slowly in shallow grassy coves will work for u hatch. VERY slowly. That's for the pike. You'll probably be able to see em......

M

·
0 Posts
The pike in there are sad, big heads, needlebodies. I'm sure there are some HOGS swimming around still.

I won't be making to opening day as planned, cuz im sick and missed all last week of school. Last year the paper said it was an unimpressive first day. I think two or three weeks from now would be a good time to go.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mustang said:
The pike in there are sad, big heads, needlebodies. I'm sure there are some HOGS swimming around still.

I won't be making to opening day as planned, cuz im sick and missed all last week of school. Last year the paper said it was an unimpressive first day. I think two or three weeks from now would be a good time to go.
Stang I am going to agree with you for the most part on this... But there are some huge ones in there, here is the food chain for Spinney as I see it. (this is just observation on my part) Pike are starving in spinney since they stock trout mostly to large for the smaller pike to eat. This causes the pike to turn on each other, this thins out the pike population and grows the pike big enough to feed on the trout that get stocked there. They then successfully spawn and the process starts all over again. There are also a sucker population in there which does provide some forage for the smaller pike.

I think Im going to throw some trout swimbaits out there this year.

Also the north boat ramp will be the only ramp accessable when Spinney opens, this is what they said at the Round table.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hatch, I was at Spinney last year on opener (my first and last opener) and the fishing was off compared to previous years (a week after opener). Lots of people had opinions why, like they opened the lake too late. As others have said, it is a Zoo. Hard to find a spot anywhere near the dam. I will avoid opener but try to get up there right afterwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts