Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of people at the res of course.

Alot of people caught only 5 or 6 fish or less, mostly smaller ones (I saw part of the DOW survey answers). Some people caught more than that and larger sizes. I heard of one Northen caught (size not mentioned). I heard of no keepers from people I talked to, or on the survey.

We caught 25 or 30 fish (maybe a little more ??) between 6 a.m. and 11 a.m. when we got off the water. Lots of really fat 16 to 18 inch rainbows, a 18" or so Brown and two 19" rainbows (1 hook jaw male which left a bunch of white milky stuff in the boat & 1 plump female ready to give birth). The smaller trout and the bigger ones are in very different locations. When you find the bigger ones, stay there.

I'm sure someone caught a keeper or two every 5 minutes, but not us. Not a slaughter, but a very good day for sure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Lakertaker,
It sounds like all in all, you had a good day. Disclaimer, (I've never been up to Spinney but am looking to do so within the month or so). That said, I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers as to general areas to fish, lures that have been or generally are productive.
Since you obviously know what you are doing up there, I hope that you don't mind my asking for some friendly advice. Thank you for your time and anticipated response. Take care and tight lines.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think there was a full moon last night and tonight - so blame the lunar cycle. I got really sick last night and was unable to go today, dart the luck and I spent all that money at sportsmans for nothing. >:D I will hit it up next week for sure. Wish the fishing was better.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Me and my son had a great day, we caught two keeper Browns, a Pike, and about 10 Rainbow's. I have a few pic's, but am having problems posting them. Epic, can you help me out? It was the best opening day for me yet, but unlike other times all of our big fish were Browns. We are going again Friday, if my son is off school!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Firedawg email them to me at [email protected] I will add them to your post - just hit modify and you will see how to do it for next time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What type of gear were you using Firedawg?I am heading down there tommorow morning.I usually troll,but i am not opposed to drifting and tossin lures and having a fly under an indicator.Thanks

lyn

·
Registered
417 Posts
We were fishing from shore with ultra-light gear 4lb test, Panther Martins, 1/4oz Kastmasters, and gitzits. We walked back and forth between the boat dock and dam all day. Good luck tomorrow, we got all our big fish once it warmed up arund 10:30am.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cool,sounds like one of those Spinney days that we wait all winter for.Thanks for sharing,hopefully i'll have some pics tommorow.Good luck on Friday.

lyn

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would love to take the baot out on Spinney. I heard it is beeter to hit the lake early as it gets windy later in the day...Any good advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Firedawg, I will be there Friday leaving after I get off work 5am. Will be in a brown four winns boat give us a shout if you see me.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That said, I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers as to general areas to fish, lures that have been or generally are productive.
I fish strategic locations and use ingenuity to catch the fish with.

Just Joking. I like to fish the south side of the lake right now. The larger rainbows I caught were relating to points and humps west of Buffalo Gulch Cove. The fish towards the south-east corner (south boat ramp) and the spillway were smaller. I didn't fish the area Firedawg did although we talked about it, it's hard to move to a different spot when your catching fish. I didn't fish any of the coves, although they may be good (if you weren't paying attention to my original post, the rainbows are in full spawn). I also very briefly fished the north shore first thing in the morning from the boat ramp westward until it starts getting real shallow and it did produce a couple nice rainbows. I like that area best when weed beds are getting a little thicker.

I've always liked jointed rapalas on Spinney, particularly black and silver. I also like castmasters in silver. I'm a believer in the theory that bigger baits = bigger fish, so I like the 1oz. castmasters and J-9 and J-11 rap's. Bigger baits don't always out produce for bigger fish so be ready to size down if needed. A chrome rattlin rouge produced really well once the sun came up and the water was smooth as glass. I've also done well with plastic baits around the dam in the past, but I didn't bring any this trip as the scented/salted plastics are now illegal at Spinney and I just decided to not fool with them.

Spinney is a very easy lake to "figure out". Look at the map, Spinney could be used by In-Fisherman as a sample "how-to" tutorial. Spinney was the first lake I learned to fish from a boat several years ago, it's very easy to fish. My oldest daughter caught her first lunker out of Spinney 5 or 6 years ago casting a floating rapala when she was 5 or 6 years old.   

·
Registered
555 Posts
I fish strategic locations and use ingenuity to catch the fish withOkay Lakertaker, that was good, you got me, :).  Seriously though, thank you for your reply and information.  As I've indicated, I'm hoping to get the youngin's hooked on fishing and nothing does that moreso than some good solid action.  Many times when I fish Chatfield and Aurora, I'll have some very good days but often times put in 8-10 hours per outing.  I'll probably only get up to Spinney a couple times this year but when I do, it's always nice to have a pretty good idea as to where to concetrate on and adapt to the given conditions
the sun came up and the water was smooth as glassThat actually happens at Spinney?  I'm hoping to catch a few of those days as well.
  Again, thank you for your input, I really appreciate it and will let you know how things work out, best of luck! 

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great pictures Firedawg. I used www.tinypic.com to host the pictures if you have any questions on something you cant figure out from there PM me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Firedawg said:
Epic did you get the pic's? If not I will resend them, my computer is posessed!!!
Yes I got them, look at your first post on this topic your pictures should be there. GJ on the fish.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
1 oz. kasty's? You tryin to knockout those fish from the concussion? Wow. Cool I guess.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did'nt see the picture of the keepers, I will try again. Epic I will send you the keeper picture again. Imageshack is not working for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts