:happy:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here we go!!!! Numb feet but great fishin'

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
How many of you do well for pike while wading there on opening day?

I know most of the people who are excited are trout guys, but for those that prefer the toothy critters, what do you expect for opening day?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
How many of you do well for pike while wading there on opening day?

I know most of the people who are excited are trout guys, but for those that prefer the toothy critters, what do you expect for opening day?
I remember when I was mostly a trout fisherman, I would always see a couple of big pike caught opening week. The one thing they always had in common was the guys were fishing black marabou jigs!

Then I read an article in Infisherman that said when the ice comes off up north, there is a shortage of suitable forage for big pike? They come shallow an eat the most abundant thing, "Leechs". His theory was that they are genetically ingrained to eat small black things! Just a theory but it kind of makes sense?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I remember when I was mostly a trout fisherman, I would always see a couple of big pike caught opening week. The one thing they always had in common was the guys were fishing black marabou jigs!

Then I read an article in Infisherman that said when the ice comes off up north, there is a shortage of suitable forage for big pike? They come shallow an eat the most abundant thing, "Leechs". His theory was that they are genetically ingrained to eat small black things! Just a theory but it kind of makes sense?
Great info, Neal! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
At ice out, pike can be a tough bite on lures. They either just spawned under the ice, or they are looking to spawn. They also tend to have an affinity for dead baits. They'll feed on dead fish that didn't survive the winter. They really don't want to chase. I've caught them at Spinney at ice off fishing tubes crawled along the bottom..imitating crawdads I'm sure. All have been hammer handles up to five pounds or so.

I was fishing a lake a few weeks back using a dead bait under a bobber out of my toon. Twenty minutes in, I hooked a monster...really big fish. After a brief fight, I lost it. Kinda bummed...but thought..alright..today's going to be good. Fished another six hours and never had another hit.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The real question for me is: how crowded is it gonna be? I have a few locations I'd like to hit in the hills this weekend. Prolly gonna skip Spinney. I have toothy critters and/or lakers on my mind. Oh, and let's not forget the MRT!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
At ice out, pike can be a tough bite on lures. They either just spawned under the ice, or they are looking to spawn.
Do you think there might be a unique opportunity this year? This is the earliest ice off I can remember for some of those lakes. It would be interesting to see how the early ice off affects their behavior. Normally, I'm out east when ice off occurs and those mountain lakes are not even on my mind. Based on my personal experience (no scientific data here), it seems that a subset of fish react more to water temperatures and others are more affected by time of year when it comes to spawning habits.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you think there might be a unique opportunity this year? This is the earliest ice off I can remember for some of those lakes. It would be interesting to see how the early ice off affects their behavior. Normally, I'm out east when ice off occurs and those mountain lakes are not even on my mind. Based on my personal experience (no scientific data here), it seems that a subset of fish react more to water temperatures and others are more affected by time of year when it comes to spawning habits.
^^^ exactly... It's not all water temp. Every year back home in AZ, as the weather warms and people get spring fever it pops up on the forums. Some one sees a couple early bedders and it's "BASS BASS EVERYWHERE. Early spawn this year,... Get out while you can." And then as usual first full moon on March the real spawn begins. No expert , and I know even less about other species, but on bass forums you see it every year

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Do you think there might be a unique opportunity this year? This is the earliest ice off I can remember for some of those lakes. It would be interesting to see how the early ice off affects their behavior.
I don't know. For me, I just go fishing when I can. Go often enough and you're bound to hit the bite sooner or later. What this time of year does afford is the opportunity to fish for species that have grouped up in order to spawn..whether pike, bass, walleye, trout, crappie...etc. In essence you're able to shrink the size of the lake into likely spawning locations..and the fish come to you.

Put your offering in front of enough fish and you've got a chance to get bit.

For fly guys, it's the chance to get into large pike while wading in shallow water. They're going to spawn shallow and then recover after the spawn in shallow bays.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I don't know. For me, I just go fishing when I can. Go often enough and you're bound to hit the bite sooner or later. What this time of year does afford is the opportunity to fish for species that have grouped up in order to spawn..whether pike, bass, walleye, trout, crappie...etc. In essence you're able to shrink the size of the lake into likely spawning locations..and the fish come to you.

Put your offering in front of enough fish and you've got a chance to get bit.

For fly guys, it's the chance to get into large pike while wading in shallow water. They're going to spawn shallow and then recover after the spawn in shallow bays.
I go when I can as well, but I make a point to go when there is a special window. Example: I wasn't planning to fish today but I will head out if the right conditions come together later today. Anyway, I was hoping to hit some pre-spawn toothy critters with the early ice off. We'll see...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Sure...I understand. Seriously, for anyone that wants to be consistently successful at catching fish..you want to maximize your opportunities.

For example...you want to catch large walleyes..fish at night prespawn/spawn and in the fall right before ice. Wiper are going to run as the walleye spawn dies down. Crappie..fish from April 15th to May 15th in the riprap or shallow lake humps...Bass are going to go shallow as the crappie bite dies down..Cats..right after the ice comes off for a week or two and then the 1st of June for spawners for a month. Eater walleyes and numbers are best from Mother's day through the end of June....etc..

It's tougher to just concentrate on one species of choice rather than fishing for multiple species when they are most likely to be active and easily accessible.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sure...I understand. Seriously, for anyone that wants to be consistently successful at catching fish..you want to maximize your opportunities.

For example...you want to catch large walleyes..fish at night prespawn/spawn and in the fall right before ice. Wiper are going to run as the walleye spawn dies down. Crappie..fish from April 15th to March 15th in the riprap or shallow lake humps...Bass are going to go shallow as the crappie bite dies down..Cats..right after the ice comes off for a week or two and then the 1st of June for spawners for a month. Eater walleyes and numbers are best from Mother's day through the end of June....etc..

It's tougher to just concentrate on one species of choice rather than fishing for multiple species when they are most likely to be active and easily accessible.
Right on! Pretty much the plan I follow, except I don't go after bass. And you don't see much of my crappie/white bass/wipers reports because out of state don't count. If I reported more on out of state trips, some of you smart arses would also ask me "where are the real pictures from out east." You know who you are. I'm not going to name anyone, cough, cough, but MrWiggles... :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It sounds like a good weekend to hit some of the other south park waters while the masses descend on spinney.. Maybe the dream stream will have an empty hole or two. Anyone seen if the carp are working at the inlet of 11 mile?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
AO, let's go to spinney and chuck baits and piss of the sissy stickers on Sunday monring.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
What, you think you're the only Eastern fisherman I know, AO? :biggrin1:
That's a good word play on "eastern" there! :biggrin1: And those were the real pictures from out east. Might not have been all of them though... ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've had several nice pike early season at Spinney, the most effective bait for me has been one of my favorite trout spoons, the Thomas Bouyant in red.gold color. This lure has produced well for me at all three South Park lakes.
C:\Users\Bill\Pictures\Trout 2013\IMGP0097 (640x480).jpg
Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts