Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to help rid Spinney of some pike yesterday. Never got into any big ones but had a great day. Boated 24 pike, largest was 29" and three bonus trout that ate spinnerbaits (largest trout was 22").

Kept these for meals and going to turn the small pike into pike salad.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only I can figure out a way to help reduce the Spinney perch problem, then there would be perch in the photo and my arms wouldn't be so tired today.

I forgot Spinney trout aren't nearly as good as 11 Mile trout. Something about crawdad diet vs. insect diet I guess. No more Spinney trout for me. :p :p

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I definitely like to eat some pike! I just think protecting the big ones is important to the fishery. Nice catches. I plan on eating some this weekend.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I personally don't like the taste of pike. But it sounds like a good trip!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The smaller ones are great, as good eating as walleye. :) You tube videos will show you how to get the bones out.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The smaller ones are great, as good eating as walleye. :) You tube videos will show you how to get the bones out.
I don't mind bones. I have had pike in the 17-20" range. In terms of flavor and texture, I would rate it below walleye. Most importantly, and this may sound weird to you, but pike has a smell that I don't like. Same with drum. Even weirder: someone I know says that walleye has a smell he does not like. He asked me to trade a walleye for a wiper once. :D Personal... taste.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sounds liKe Spinney got hammered with a storm yesterday? Park is closed indefinitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't mind bones. I have had pike in the 17-20" range. In terms of flavor and texture, I would rate it below walleye. Most importantly, and this may sound weird to you, but pike has a smell that I don't like. Same with drum. Even weirder: someone I know says that walleye has a smell he does not like. He asked me to trade a walleye for a wiper once. :D Personal... taste.

Agree, taste is personal. I love Antero trout and a lot of folks won't eat them; say they taste like mud. I agree with previous post that Spinney trout don't taste good at all. Much fun to catch those big fish though. Hope they get the back park open soon. "Indefinitely" has a way of turning into "next season."

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try boiling pike in 7-Up and then sauteeing it in butter. I've heard about it for years but finally spoke to someone who loves it that way. Now I'm intrigued.

Oyey - no prob on the big girls. I've scaled back my pike ethic and will only take one in the 28-30" class, and none over. I've only made one or two trips to Spinney/11 Mile for pike each of the last few years so no slaughtering of the brood stock. Definitely done with Spinney trout!

There's been some discussion about leaving the pike in Spinney to handle the perch problem. Game management is a hard business. Never sure what to do.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good stuff, man!! My group kept 5-6 smallish pike this weekend... 26-29" ones.. Man, that is some goooooood eats!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to hear about your pike success. That size are perfect eaters. Nice fillets for sure!

How was the park after the storm? Were the roads graded or washed out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts