Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article today in the Post about the status of Spinney. Trout numbers are up,  but there are less big toads than before. The bad news is the Pike have come back and are now starving again! The Biologist there is holding back 45,000 12" Bows until the water gets colder in order to protect them from all the teeth. He says the lake is loaded with 8-24" swimming sleletons again :mad: The only thing left again for them to eat is crawfish. There for awhile people were doing a good job of killing the small pike to help thin them out, ( I did my part) but now the cycle is starting all over again ???

I wonder if there is any thing they could put in there, like perch that would give the Pike another prey source?

It just goes to show no matter how much you try to exterminate Pike you are not going to accomplish it! I used to always crack up reading all the posts on this site about the Pike Holocaust that was going on up there and how soon there would be no Pike left! If there is one thing big Pike do better than eat trout, it is make little Pike!

F

·
0 Posts
thats tough...I was up there yesterday fishing the dream stream ....my cousin caught a little northern in the dream stream right next to the parking lot. Stocking perch would just put in another game fish to not only compete with trout for food, but perch can really over populate also(blue mesa). I think we all are going to have to live with the fact spinney isnt what it once was and the northerns are here to stay

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't goto Spinney to catch alot of trout anyway! I'm not interested in numbers. I go to catch a big one.

I will be glad to help thin out the small pike again! They are one of my favorite fish to eat ;D But they have to have some meat on them to fillet?

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
I must admit that I'm a pike thinner also. We dont need pike in every lake!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love pike and would fish for them any day before I would settle for a trout. However, I don't think anyone wants for pike to be small and starving. That's just not what a pike should be. I once caught two 40" pike at Spinney within a half hour. That was a whole lot of fun and what pike fishing should be like. I hate to hear that they are over populating again, thus damaging the quality of the species. It may take a bunch of anglers going there on a regular basis with one thing in mind and leaving all trout tackle at home to get the hammer handles thinned out. Perhaps a reward system or new limit: Keep one trout for every 5 pike on your stringer. In other words, don't even think about trout fishing until you have kept 5 pike.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would love to catch any pikes at all

Y

·
0 Posts
Depending on how much work I have this weekend I was thinking of heading to Spinney/11-mile this weekend...Me and my wife love to catch and eat pike....are these "skinny" pike big enough to fillet and eat? Would a 24" pike out of spinney have enough meat on it to fillet? I am all for "thinning" out the pop if I can take them home to eat but I am not into keeping and throwing the pike on the bank...not saying that does not need to be done...just saying I will let someone else do that.

M

·
0 Posts
yup, two weeks ago we caught three pike, all were like 14 inches and eager to get some food, very skinny

M

·
0 Posts
well at least they got the dow worried, haha, its ard to create a perfect balance, i think we need to build a new reservoir somewhere random in the mountains, make it big with goo structure, have pike, not tigers, too bad we cant have real muskie, have smallies, walleye, perch and make it a lake like the ones up in northern wisconsin, minnesota and canada, those lakes are incredible, we need one, haha

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
wonmorefish said:
I wish there was a lake here in colorado with only pike they give up a better fight.  I hope they take over at spinney.  It will never happen ,but I would love it.
they do have a lake like that (rocky mtn arsenal) oh i forgot it has giant bass in it also. the only problem with a pike only lake is what are they gonna eat...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like Slayer said, some lakes weren't meant to be Pike fisheries. Pike are one of my favorite fish but I wish they were only in 11-Mile! There is no place to hide for trout in Spinney.

One thing you can do at Spinney is when you catch a small snake, you can usually get a small fillet on each side of the tail half of the fish. You will also be doing the lake a favor!

I wish they would start stocking Pike in eastern resevoirs that are full of shad and trash fish to eat. Prewitt would be a perfect example. Bonny has a small population of pike already. I caught a 34" Pike there during a walleye tournament about seven years ago.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I dont understand the pike problem here i guess....

where I'm from (Minnesota) there are pike in every lake and they live in a balanced ecosystem with everything else (bluegills, largemouth, smallmouth, carp, walleye. etc, etc, etc)

I don't understand how they "take over" these colorado fisheries...warm water or cold water.

I thought I heard that someone introduced pike to Colorado fisheries as a way to thin out a certain species of fish (i forget which) and then they got upset when the pike started eating trout....duh!

Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems a bit silly for people to complain about something that they are ultimately responsible for. I'm not saying that the people in this forum are responsible for the pike but people in general. you can send me hate mail...it's ok.

D

·
0 Posts
Oats said:
I can't understand why the DOW dosen't shock pike in Spinney and put them somewhere else.
I would think it would be really expensive to shock and transport the big pike any distance.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like you said Ted,  your lakes in Minnesota were natural balanced fisheries and Pike belonged there. When they stocked 11- mile 40 years ago with Pike to control the Carp it worked. Unfortunately when they dammed the Platte to build Spinney some Pike that were in the river got inadvertently trapped behind the dam. Spinney is the perfect spawning ground for Pike and they will never eradicate them. They shocked and netted a couple of thousand Pike and dumped them in small lakes in eastern Colorado last time. That was only a short term solution.

Our mountain lakes are not like natural lakes in the midwest or North. We don't have  shad, ciscos, smelt, bluegills, bullheads, perch, whitefish, herring, etc. as forage. Spinney pike have stocker trout and crawfish. Last time this happened the DOW estimated there was 10,000 Pike in this 2500 acre lake!

Y

·
0 Posts
It would be great if there were two or three (free)pike tournaments a year at spinney where the winner would be determined by number of pike rather than weight. Maybe the local supersized tackle shops could donate some prizes and coloradofisherman could organize. Just a dream but sounds like a fun way to put some pressure on the population.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Yea, I think this situation is specific to spinney in that there is not the wide range of species and forage base to support a large pike population. The trout that are in there are too big for the smaller pike to eat. A while back the DOW stocked something like 300,000 fingerling trout in spinney and in the following years the DOW could not account for any of those fish. They determined that the pike were eating all of them. That is why the DOW now stocks trout over 12 inches and waits until this time of year to do it, when the pike's metabolism has slowed and their high growth season has passed, leaving the stockers with a much better chance of surviving. I guarantee you there are still some GRANDE pike in spinney that just chow on stocker trout, but the little pike have nothing else to eat but Craws. Most other pike fisheries that have good numbers and size also have a vast forage base and multiple species. Stagecoach is another reservoir with a similar situation as Spinney, but it seems like the trout population is healthy with good numbers of all sizes. In the next few years it will be interesting to see if that changes with so many huge pike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts