Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my goal was to use nymph patterns but after the first 2 hours of nothing, I switched to a black and red micro leech and easily caught the biggest trout in my life. Also, the flats of spinney have some big trout cruising around. I caught another almost the same size in 3 ft of water.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
my goal was to use nymph patterns but after the first 2 hours of nothing, I switched to a black and red micro leech and easily caught the biggest trout in my life. Also, the flats of spinney have some big trout cruising around. I caught another almost the same size in 3 ft of water.
Nice man. Glad you hooked up. Spinney can be tough at times. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it. Like the first five times I went out from shore I got skunked. And then once I started fishing from the tube I never went back and have had much better luck. What's cool about spinney is that that's pretty much the typical trout. You'll be hard pressed to catch tiny ones whereas there are some spots that only have the little guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! I litteraly fought the first one for 13 minutes and it measured at 25 inches...it barley fit in my net...Whompus did you go Saturday?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
thanks guys! I litteraly fought the first one for 13 minutes and it measured at 25 inches...it barley fit in my net...Whompus did you go Saturday?

Damn. Didnt look 25 in the pic. Thats definitely bigger than average but still spinney trout are usually quality. No I ended up doing granby yesterday, though. Got a laker on the fly which was cool. My first laker too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice fish man! Did you fish that micro leach under an indicator? Or on a slow retrieve? I'm curious. Again, awesome fish! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice man. Glad you hooked up. Spinney can be tough at times. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it. Like the first five times I went out from shore I got skunked. And then once I started fishing from the tube I never went back and have had much better luck. What's cool about spinney is that that's pretty much the typical trout. You'll be hard pressed to catch tiny ones whereas there are some spots that only have the little guys.

That's where I must have fished :biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Great job!

Thanks for the report

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used a big black 4 inch rabbit tail leech at first and got a lot of strikes on it with it, but I couldn't set any hooks. I also did a normal retrieve like if I was pulling a streamer for bass...short quick pulls...I have the video of catching the first one on my Gopro, I'll try to put it on YouTube. The second trout that measured at 23 inches I caught in the flats and I forgot my net on my toon. so I had to walk with him all the way back just to net him. 4 minute fight turned into 20 minutes haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also I used normal 8 pound strength line. I can't say of its mono or or fluorocarbon... its the stuff I used for bass...also I really wanna thank all the guys on here who guided me on this spinney trip. I would have been throwing top water lures or something without the guidance given to me here...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FedExman no indacator or nothing...litterally 7 ft of stren 8 pound was my leader. no tippet or anything

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are there any hatches going on yet?? Have'nt been there since Sept and the caddis were out.. Black foam beetle and caddis combo were good on top in the shallows.. Nice feesh!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know of any but there were a lot of fish rising around me while I was there. these were my first trout on a fly rod so I'm still learning patterns and such..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts