Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished sat 24th. tons of people floating around in cheerios,looked like a bowl of ceral out there, very few people with tight lines. lets get real, it sucked from 8:30 until 10:30, guess the small front fri had an effect on conditions. again not a puff of wind until about noon.was this a factor? probably, im :) :) sure all the cheerios didnt help. but from 10:30 til 1:00 it was ripping.my buddy chris and i hung close to 20 a piece 14-20 inches, still no big pigs.the calibeatis hatch saved the day

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably not hidding, probably being poached. how can you explain an average in 2003 being 14-20inch with the average being the same in 2005? there is no explination. also, 4 times out this season, no browns

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe when I go next time, I'll just have to sleep in a little longer!!! The same thing happened last year, You would get there REALLY early and not catch a dang thing until 9 or 10. Then all heck would break loose!!! It IS frustrating for that early morning period.....

If someone figures out what to use at that time let us know!!!

Tim

·
Registered
374 Posts
ive noticed that when fishing spinney if that wind isnt blowing hard in your face then you just wont catch fish.landed lots of nice browns just wading in the wind last year.i make sure its gonna be windy before heading that way.good thing is it normally is windy down there.
shawn

·
Registered
280 Posts
I spent Sat. at Spinney and that was mostly all I caught 14 to 18 inchers, but there still plenty of big boys in there, I also caught two browns a 16" and 21" which was the biggest fish of the day, biggest bow was only twenty and everything else was pretty small. In April all I caught were 20 to 24" rainbows with a few over 25" and two 26" so I know there's a lot.
Usually in June and July 20 to 22" cutbows are the norm why there not showing up is a bit of a mystery. My theory is that the hatches have been smaller and the bigger fish aren't focusing on calibetis and midges as much as they would during a larger hatch. And I don't know why people would take bigger fish anyway they don't taste nearly as good.  
Has anyone had a good pike day at Spinney this season? I again tried for pike with no luck and have a feeling the majority of the pike have been taken out. Which would give the DOW freedom to stock a wider variety of fish.  
What do all of the Spinney fishers think, because I'd like to contact the DOW about this to see if they might consider stocking more cutts, splake and browns.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I caught a couple of hammerhandels in may trollin for trout.So i think they are still in there but just not at the numbers(expecially small ones)that was there years previously.Every once in awhile you hear about a 30+incher comming out but they are hard to pattern.Usually seems to be kinda luck of the draw.

lyn

·
Registered
53 Posts
I actually do my best out there when it's calm. Good bobber fishing. cast you rig out with PT's, callibeatis nymphs and chirnomids, and slowly twitch it back. Deadly technique when it's calm. Also a little bit of chop helps to jig it for you.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I agree with Oats. Big fish have always been harder to catch in the summer up there. Come fall I will be up there almost every weekend right up to ice. Last fall I was getting several in the 6-7 lb range each day on jigs and i lost bigger fish.

I to would like to see Splake and more Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year the Pike fishing really took a nose dive there for me? Thats why I haven't bothered so far this spring. I think their plan to starve out the small fish worked?

·
Registered
45 Posts
gshelley said:
probably not hidding, probably being poached. how can you explain an average in 2003 being 14-20inch with the average being the same in 2005? there is no explination. also, 4 times out this season, no browns
They are being poached. I believe there is only one game warden there that is responsible for watching the whole lake. A lot of people either are or pretend to be too stupid to figure out the regulations on that lake and you know that local hicks are poaching fish out of there at night. Of course the lake should be catch and release only as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Must be the same reason I did not shoot a world class Bull elk last season -- billy bob must have poached him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
roadkill said:
maybe by the time they reach that size they have been caught enough to smarten them up seems to my the big boys have always been the hardest to catch
That is very possible. A lot of those beauties in there have been caught many times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the big fish are just as hungry, when the hatch is on the fish big and small fish will eat. the big pigs won't only if there is no big fish in the lake! obviously you did'nt fish antero back in the day

M

·
0 Posts
I disagree -- big fish don't get big by eating bugs. some studies have said that is the reason the browns don't get real large on the arkansas -- after they reach a certain size the need to switch to a larger source of protein in order to continue growing and there isn't much forage in the arkansas around canon city. I doubt that big fish are extinct in spinney

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Many species of fish typically key a certain type of forage, but many are opportunistic too. If there are easy pickins on a hatch bass, walleye and many other species of fish will feed heavily on them. You probably won't get big bass cashing in on a hatch of mosquito larvae, but a big hatch of mayflies or dragon flys is a different story.

If there is a good source of protein in a body of water or stream the bigger fish will feed as much as possible on larger source and continue to feed opportunistically.

Often times fish size is limited not only by the type of forage available but also on the density of fish. Fewer fish feeding on good hatches and nymphs grow faster than larger populations all fighting hard for the scraps.

Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
mauser said:
I disagree -- big fish don't get big by eating bugs. some studies have  said that is the reason the browns don't get real large on the arkansas -- after they reach a certain size the need to switch to a larger source of protein in order to continue growing and there isn't much forage in the arkansas around canon city. I doubt that big fish are extinct in spinney
True ? I wonder if the big fish in Spinney have become cannibalistic monsters feeding on stocked trout. I doubt that though ? there is so much insect biomass in there, I?m sure the big ones feed on insects.

I hope the big fish in Spinney are simply smarter because they have been caught before. If not, they are gone and that would continue the trend of less big trout in Colorado.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i also wonder if the genetic dilution from so many years of hatchery fish has made a difference, other than the browns and pike is there any natural recruitment in Spinney?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The one fish I kept from Spinney this year.... The only one.... Was absolutely FULL of small crawfish! I counted 8 of them. I think a lot of the bigger ones start to really go after that forage. Very high in protein, and they don't have to work as hard for them. Just hang on the bottom and suck one up every now and then. There are pigs in that lake!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tim-COS said:
The one fish I kept from Spinney this year.... The only one.... Was absolutely FULL of small crawfish! I counted 8 of them. I think a lot of the bigger ones start to really go after that forage. Very high in protein, and they don't have to work as hard for them. Just hang on the bottom and suck one up every now and then. There are pigs in that lake!
Yep, I use crayfish patterns in the fall near the bottom on a Type IV sinking line and have caught really big fish. I use a reddish brown bulky Stillwater Nymph pattern that I?ve customized a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts